Passed A+ Essentials - How different is IT Technician?

Discussion in 'A+' started by petejk, Feb 10, 2009.

1. petejk

petejk New Member

This is my first post, and so...

I've just passed the Essentials exam with score of 793. I read some helpful advice regarding the best A+ text to buy, Mike Meyers' All in One sixth Edition, which I read, admittedly not that carefully, in the 5 days before today.

However, I'm wanting to pass IT technician exam, so I can get on and do Network+. I want to save myself time/expense of taking it too soon, and not passing first time.
    How much more in depth are the questions, when compared to A+? Also, I found that the standard of the practice tests included on the Meyers CD didn't match up particularly accurately with the questions on the exam. Is there any alternative exam practice available FOC?

My experience is a Computing AS level taken 9 years ago, and hobbyist tinkering/tech reading etc since.

Regards,
    Pete

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

Congratulations on the pass.

Opinions on the forum differ. I found the 220-602 a little more difficult. Its not that the questions are more in depth, its that they are more scenario based and I lacked experience of actually working in IT.

I would put a bit more study time in and remember to include Safety/Environment and Communication/ Professionalism which together make up 20% of the 220-602.

You can get some free questions from the CompTia website. However good free practise questions are hard to find.

Good luck

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Well done. :biggrin

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

They're not more in depth, really... they just cover slightly different topics.

With free, you generally get what you pay for. However, my opinion is pretty biased, as I write for a company that develops high-quality practice exams. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I also found the 602 harder, mainly because the questions are situational and there are usually two good answers.
    A lot of the questions will be on troubleshooting/ configuring devices rather than just identifying what they are.

I read (normally) the end of each chapter in the AIO which gives you troubleshooting tips.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done:)

I found the 220-602 exam much easier than the essentials. I think that was because I am quite good at putting myself into the situations describe (this actually helps with troubleshooting in the real world too).

I found the essentials full of ambigious questions which I dont like.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. petejk

petejk New Member

Well thanks for all you replies!
    Looks like this next one is going to require more dedicated study of the literature - will hold off on booking a date for now.

I'm sure I'll post either way on the result after taking 220-602.

10. petejk

petejk New Member

Well I passed IT Technician with a respectable 825 score!

There were a couple of questions that included material that wasn't directly included in the All In One, - review time came in handy for these.

Looking forward to Network+, so going to read another Mike Meyers tome...

11. TwoToneTony

TwoToneTony Bit Poster

Ha! My problem exactly when I took the 601 last week. In real life you'd have at least a tiny bit more info or at least the opportunity to find out, I often found myself (in practice exams) tearing my hair out in frustration saying to myself, "Well of course I knew that..."

Congrats to the poster :biggrin

Race you to the 602...? :p

WIP: N+, MCSA?
  12. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I would tend to agree with this. Still, as your study progresses, the deeper your knowledge should get, so it's a logical progression in difficulty. Or that's what I think.

Some good practise questions can be found with SelfTest Software, and with MeasureUp. I can testify to the fact that they're good, as I got some really high scores as a result of practising with those materials.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+