passed 701 & 702

Discussion in 'A+' started by nn, Sep 16, 2010.

1. nn

nn Nibble Poster

passed 701 & 702 today, used comptia exam cram (david l prowse) and the free practice tests enclosed to study from. was good to get them both done same day but wouldn’t recommend..

Certifications: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nn

nn Nibble Poster

thanks michael

4. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Congrats, on both passes

:alc

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the passes :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats :)

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  7. nn

nn Nibble Poster

cheers v much all, looking forward to an evening without my head stuck in a book! :D

8. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

Why would you not recommend it? I'm thinking of doing the same, that's why i ask...

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  9. steven88

steven88 Bit Poster

Congrats Lad!

WIP: MCDST
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the passes:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. nn

nn Nibble Poster

mate just found it a bit heavy going but u have to weigh it all up.. if u think its 2x 1.5 hours under exam conditions blar blar but good to get done and dusted all in one go. no worse than a heavy day at work maybe?

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

With the two A+ exams there's so much overlap the general consensus seems to be that if you're ready for one, you're ready for both. If you pass both there's no problem.
    However, you've never taken these exams before so you won't know exactly where you're at until you take at least one. They are also quite expensive. If I had to do them again I'd leave a week between them. I'd certainly leave enough time so I could reschedule the second exam without incurring any costs if I failed the first.

On the other hand, passing both on the same day would leave you tired but the victory beers would taste all the sweeter.

Congrats to nn.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats :)

Some people have mentioned darth vaders book before as being good, I have never seen it though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Congrats on the pass! If you've never taken one of these certs before, giving some time between them is not a bad idea. Personally I did one on a Friday, recovered/boned up during the weekend and took the other on Monday (or maybe it was Tuesday). There is so much overlap that you should just prepare for them both at the same time.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Agreed I did both on the same day with an hours break inbetween, I actually had very similar questions on basic networking on both exams so there is a lot of overlap.

If I remember correctly the essentials was more matter of fact and the IT Technican was this is the situation what do you do type of questions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats Im sitting mine on Friday :blink

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  17. nn

nn Nibble Poster

only thing i would say reddevil, is read the questions very carefully.
    and good luck mate!

18. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

I second that. Having done some demo versions of practise tests i came to realise that sometimes the answer lies in the question itself!

Be aware of tricky questions! Read them twice & answer once! :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  19. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Thanks for advice :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  20. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If I remember correctly the A+ tends to give you the information you need, no more, no less. If you haven't used all the individual facts to determine the answer you should have another look at it. I'm not saying they never throw in red herrings but generally they are quite straightforward.
    Watch out for the "not" word, it's quite easy to miss especially if you're a little nervous.

The technique I used for these exams lends itself well to the style of question (a lot of short questions dealing mainly with specs rather than concepts)
    Round 1: Go through all the questions. Don't rush, but don't stall on questions you're not sure of. If you're not sure, take your best guess, mark them for review and move on. This gets the bulk of the marks on the board early doors. If you have prepared properly this should be enough to give you a pass I reckon.
    Round 2: Go through all the questions marked for review. The time pressure should be off at this point so you can afford to sit and think about these. Sometimes a question that appeared later will give you the hint you need. Only change your previous best guess if you're sure it's wrong, your first guess is your best guess more often than not.
    Round 3: Go through every single question again. Handy for picking up on silly mistakes.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job