Passed 70-294 but have a question

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by alsy, Dec 18, 2009.

1. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

Passed 70-294 a few hours ago. Found it pretty tough and only scraped a pass, but there, it's in the bag.

Anyway, I have a question on replication that kept me awake last night. Too much last minute cramming got my mind thinking. Don't worry, this isn't anything that came up in the exam and doubt it would, I'm just curious about a real world scenario. I come from a Novell background so have 12 years eDirectory/NDS experience. It's a bit of a challenge trying to put that out of my head when studying AD as they work very differently. Enough background, here's the quesion.....

Company X has a domain with multiple sites. The branch offices have DCs, likewise the head office has DCs. They replicate say once every hour for talking sake. At head office there is an Active Directory integrated application installed on a server that authenticates users against AD. If a user on a branch office changes their password one day and then shortly after login, trys to login to the AD integrated app, will login fail? I would say yes as replication is only once per hour, so they would have to wait an hour. Am I correct or have I missed something very fundamental?

In an eDirectory environment, replication isn't scheduled, therefore the change would replicate immediatley. In fact, password changes take priority, so by the time the user had changed their password at their workstation and launched the application, the password change would more than likely have replicated back to head office.

Hopefully someone will answer and I can get a proper nights sleep tonight!

Certifications: MCNE, CNE5&6, MCSA, N+, Project+, ITILv2
    WIP: MCSE2K3
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :thumbleft

This link may answer your question.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. alsy

alsy Bit Poster

Ahh, thanks! So, I'd enable Change Notification between sites? That makes sense. So, I'm guessing this isn't the default behaviour for inter site replication to reduce the amount of replication traffic? In the real world, do people generally find that the default of waiting on the scheduled replication time is sufficient or do most people enable change notification?

Might seem a stupid question, but I'm just used to it working that way.

It's strange that didn't come up in my study material as I used the official MS Press book. Maybe not important.

Certifications: MCNE, CNE5&6, MCSA, N+, Project+, ITILv2
    WIP: MCSE2K3
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell