Parity

Discussion in 'Network+' started by fear-n-loathing, Jan 30, 2004.

1. fear-n-loathing

fear-n-loathing New Member

I'm currently doing my Network+ and have just finished the RAID unit. Could someone please explain exactly what parity is and what it does. I know that its an error detection technique but after that I go west.

Thanks

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Here is a link that I find sorts it out for me :idea:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5033079.html

HTH

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What Sandy said. BTW, welcome to Certforums, fear-n-loathing. Hope you like it here. Please take a minute or two and pop up to the "New Members" forum and introduce yourself. We'd like to know a little about you and reading our comments there will tell you something about us. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi fear-and-loathing, and welcome :D

Again, what Trip and Sandy said. All I'd add is that, for the purposes of Network+ (and prob a great deal more), you will not need a deep understanding of parity.

Effectively, it is the result of an algorithm run across the data on the drives, that is unique to that data, therefore by reversing the algorithm, the data can be re-created.

I haven't checked out the link above, so if what I've said is cr@p, then sorry - I am just an armadillo you know :eek:

Take it easy, mate :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity