Pain...a new fragrance by Job Hunting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by londonbiker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. londonbiker

londonbiker New Member

Hi all,

Well like many of you I am looking for a job. i don't have any previous IT experience, but took it upon myself to do the Comptia A+ & Network+ qualifications, which i can happily say I passed. I have also read and consumed as much information on Active Directory as I can, as well as installing a server at home to practice setting it up and running a dummy office........

.........and yet the pain I refer to in the title of this post is that of actual job hunting. So far I have been looking since the start of July (yes only 2 months, but feels a lot longer).....and so far I have applied fo 35 jobs. the types of job i have been applying for are helpdesk, desktop support, pc repair etc. So far I have not had one single positive response, what a pain! I use the normal job sites such as reed, jobsite, jobserve, gumtree, ITJobsboard, Monster, Hays etc...

I like to think my CV is pretty good (with 9 years in the marketing industry, I'd hope I learnt a thing or two abut selling myself in), with my IT qualifications, and knowledge upfront, with my previous employment and education further down.

BUT still no joy in even the sniff of a job, let alone an interview!! So this post goes out to all those hunting for jobs.....oh the joys! Keep your chin up, i know I am trying to!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+
    WIP: Microsoft MCTS 2008 Active Dir
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Are you speaking to the agencies concerned or are you just emailing off your CV and hoping for the best?

My rule of thumb where applying for a job is concerned is that about 5 minutes after sending off my CV to the agency I always phone the agent up and have a chat with them, why? because you will be fresh in their mind and as long as you do come across well you stand a better chance of being remembered than if all you did was send in a CV and leave it at that.

As far as job hunting goes, I have experienced issues of 4 or 5 months between contracts and I can assure you that I am not inexperienced or lacking in confidence when it comes to being able to do the job, it really is\was a hard time trying to be 'the one' for any particular positions.

I would honestly have to advise people wanting to come into IT at the moment to think long and hard about it because there are a lot of people out there who are better qualified looking for work who stand a better chance of walking into a role compared to someone wanting to break into IT.

I would also ask why you haven't received any positive feedback, what's missing from your CV? what are the agencies telling you?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA