Problem Packerd Bell shutting down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Johnd76, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Does it sound like there is anything rattling around inside the case?

I had a similar issue that was caused by a screw that had slipped behind the mobo.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

na got the case open and cant see anything...I read on the web that it could be windows 7 - Computer only works on its side - Super User

What do you guys think?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

i am thinking overheating... your best bet is to take everything apart inside, and piece by piece put it back together to see if it turns off again at any point... dont forget that you can turn on the computer with only the psu and motherboard attached.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I was thinking the same but everything looked A ok...so for some reason I decided to take out the power supply and keep the all the cables plugged in and then sit the power supply the opposite from the way it is in the tower......BINGO!!! the computer switched on sitting up right!! I then rotated the power supply 180 degrees inside the tower case and although the screw holes don't line up and got 2 screws holding it for now till I get a new power supply! so I am now on the lookout for a new one...preferably a quitter one!

Thanks for all the help lads, much appreciated

oh by the way, anyone got good ideas of a power supply for about £40-50 that doesn't sound like a jet taking off??

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing