P*ss and Moan

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Feb 27, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Bad news. Micron instituted a hiring freeze late last week. My team lead and his supervisor did everything to get me on board since I was already in the "pipeline", but no dice. My contract expires on Friday and I will once again be unemployeed.

I've already updated my info on Dice.com and applied for two jobs online so I'm trying to take control of this situation rather than letting it depress me...at least too much.

What's a real bummer is that if the head of the ISDocs team hadn't dragged her feet, I'd have been hired weeks or even months ago and it would be a done deal.

Just needed to blow off some steam. Haven't told the missus yet. Not looking forward to that one. :(

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that Trip, but you never know by not getting this job a much better oportunity may come along and you will be glad it happened. Chin up!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nice of them to let you know in advance. :dry

Prayers your way, my friend.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Chin up fella, that's half the battle!8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

Good luck mate, hope it all works out ok for ya.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Well, I've updated my resume and profile at Dice, applied for two jobs online and registered for work with the state Labor department. I can't actually apply for unemployment until I've been out of work a week.

I talked to my recruiter (their company supplies a lot of contractors to Micron) and he said that all their jobs with Micron are locked down without exception. Glad to know it's not me. :wink:

I'm going to meet him for lunch on Thursday with my revised resume and go over "our strategy". The real plus I have that I didn't have nine months ago is my experience with SharePoint. Learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript helps but I'd never be able to compete with a real web designer. It's the SharePoint piece that's "value added".

It probably doesn't hurt to have the fact that I wrote 13 chapters for the O'Reilly book "SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide (out in July)". Any companies that have invested in SharePoint and especally if they have a plan to upgrade from 2003 to 2007 will be looking for people like me.

I'm well liked here so I won't have any trouble getting good references. I just need a little bit to get past the emotional shock and dive into my plan.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sh1t news, Trip - sorry to hear it :cry:

Thoughts of CF behind you right now - lady luck will turn your card soon :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry to hear that mate.

Looks like having some experience of SharePoint will help you out as many companies want to start using it and more importantly start customising it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Don't worry. One door closes and another one opens. Best of luck, pal.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Buddy that bites bigtime - I responded in more length at TU...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  11. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear the bad news Trip. Best of luck with the search for a new job, i'm sure it wont be long before you bring us some good news.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Bad luck trip, look on the bright side though, give you some extra time to write more books :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Always sad to that type of new Trip. I'm sure something will come your way soon mate.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry to hear the bad news Trip. Something good will definately come your way mate. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Once news gets out I'm sure they'll be banging down your door,you wait and see.Good luck.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  16. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

That's bad news mate, so near yet so far. I'm sure you'll find something soon, a gentleman of your calibre won't be passed over by employers for long. Good luck in your job hunt.

All the best,

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  17. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I hate that...one of the major issues with IT work. Good luck!

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  18. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Sorry to hear that, good luck with the job search :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  19. Gaiden

Gaiden Bit Poster

I know exactly how you feel at the moment. I've been working as the IT Manager for my company for over 4 years, now, and although i have the title of Manager, really all i do is take care of anything which has electricity or a circuit in it. I manage the telephone system, our website, most of the publications, Desktoop Support, etc...
    Thing is i love it, even though i have to do so much, its a small company and i love knowing that each day will be challenging. But lately things have gotten so rough, that i haven't had the last 3 months salary, and so now i'm faced with the dilema of either leaving this job and then knowing i'll probably only be able to get a desktop support job, or sticking around and hoping this get better.

Certifications: MCSA, Security+
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It doesn't hurt to start looking now, Gaiden. I was very happy in my role and it seemed pretty much like a done deal. No one could have predicted that the higher ups were going to suddenly impose this immediate freeze. I held out there as a contractor because it's a very good place to work and once you're on board as an employee, job stability and satisfaction are pretty good (I have friends who've been working for Micron for years and who are quite happy with their positions).

In your case though, not being paid for three months is bad. Start taking a look around. Get your CV out there and see who calls for interviews. Even if someone offers you a job, it doesn't mean you have to take it if you want to stay where you are. Never know what opportunities await unless you advertise.