P***ed off

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Luton Bee, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Back in October I started to search for a new job. I got one first interview in November and didn't get asked back for a second, not really surprised as I knew the interview whilst not a disaster didn't really go my way. Had a few calls from agencies but nothing ever came of the varieous opportunities we discussed. Then I got an interview with a housing trust in Herts for a second-line vacancy on Wednesday. The interview went pretty well and I felt I was in with a real chance as I got on very well with the 2 interviewers and managed to get myself accross pretty welll and the immediate feedback I got from them was favorable. So today I get the call from the agency, I didn't get the job. They picked someone else but would come back to me if anything else came up or the other guy dropped out. So I am back to the bloody start line all over again!!
    :( :( :( :(

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey LB,

I, and many others in here, can totally sympathise with how you feel right now - you just want to kick the door/cat/bin/Missus (bad idea), right ?

Only thing I can tell you is your doing the right things, so in time, the right thing will come your way. I woulld never have believed that, then it did happen to me.

It's tough in the meantime, though, Mate - I know. But you keep at it and you WILL get what you want. In fact, if you wanna work up in tropical Scotland, we're chasing for 2nd level guys right now.

Chin up LB - only you can make it happen, but you WILL !!! Believe in yourself, Mate :D

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Can this be done remotely, what are they paying?

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I know how it goes, brother. The only thing I can say is to hang in there. You never know where your next opportunity is coming from. Got a job interview myself this a.m. Just a part time gig maintaining PCs and ghosting HDDs for a test marketing company. Seems like my life is built out of temp and part time work. If I can just string enough of them together, I may end up with a full time income. Here's hoping.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I got another rejection letter today.Virtually all my rejection letters have said that loads of people have gone for the position and that there was a very high standard.
    That's fair enough becuase I have no recognized certs so really I need someone to give me a chance at starting out.I still feel peed myself though, obviously
    However Luton Bee has ample right to feel peed off though because he has all the certs and knowledge, and certainly knows more than me.

Thing is when I started my course I was told that there were masses of jobs that needed to be filled and that they were begging for IT people.
    I don't follow things blindly but ebcause they made such a big deal of it, I thought this must be the case.What a twit I am.

How come now every job I go for I egt a rejection letetr saying that masses of people went for the same job.I get the feeling that if there weren't so many people going for the job then I'd be in with a chance.

:soz Luton, hope you don't mind me being peed off in the same thread.
    I hoep you get a break soon mate, you deserve it.

6. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

To Flex and Luton

Please don't give up guys!! I know it's hard going right now but you've just got to hang on in there - I believe that you are both very intelligent individuals and come across in here as being really great guys - keep getting out there and selling yourself and someone will buy into you.

And if all else fails you could move in with Jak and go to work with him everyday! :eek:

@ Trip - how'd the interview go?

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Interview went well. I had an hour long phone conference with one of my PMs (product managers) about an instruction manual I wrote. That also went well with a minimum of corrections due to on the manuscript. I got off the phone just in time to throw on some "interview" clothes and dash out the door.

Fearing that I'd be late I was 10 minutes early. The interview was at the Manpower Professional office. The person was about 10 minutes late because she'd gotten hung up on a phone call. Had a nice chance to talk to one of my managers at Manpower.

The person who interviewed me had pneumonia but seemed in good spirits otherwise. Interesting job.

If hired, I'd be maintaining the computer and electronics equipment for a special "human factors" center at hp. This group uses people "off the street" to test webpage design. There's the testing room, the control room and the observation room where the focus group observes. The use a lot of advance technology including an eye tracking system for determining where on the page the person is focusing. Based on the results of these tests, the websites are revised to make them easier to use.

As I mentioned, the interviewer and I seemed to hit it off. I talked to my Manpower manager a few hours later and she said the interviewer also thought it went well.

Next stop is for me to subject myself to a panel interview at hp. The team is comprised of five engineers plus their manager so it will be kind of intimidating. I'll be interviewed at the lab site on the hp campus so I'll get a chance to look the place over.

If I get the job, it's 20 hours a week. When they're not testing and all the equipment is up to snuff, I'll be assigned research projects to do for the team. Both the interviewer and my manager say this is a very good team to work with. We'll see what happens Monday. Thanks for asking, Rosy. :)

8. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Sounds like an interesting opportunity Trip, good luck for Monday - sounds like you will need it for the panel interview. I have only ever had one panel interview and there were a circle of about 8 people and questions were being fired from all angles it was terrifying but definately a good experience as after that nothing can faze me and I am far better in interview situations now.

Again - good luck! :wink:

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Yup- all the best Trip :D If it pays off for you, then that should give Luton and Flex more confidence in themselves too - we all just have to persever to get that elusive goal we're working towards.

It will happen ......

10. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

What a difference 4 weeks makes!! I have today had a verbal offer on a job I went for interview for last Tuesday as Network Administrator / 2nd line support. I start my new position on the 5th April, pending acceptance of the letter I will receive officially offering me the position next week. So to all the others looking for new positions I say keep battling and going you will get your reward in the end.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations Luton, I'm made up for ya :P

Excellent :!:
    :rainfro :iagree

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Way to go, bud! Congratulations! Glad you made it! :D

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

REEEEESULT :!: :!: :!:

Well done, Luton - told you it would pay off :D :clap

Keep us posted on your progress, Mate

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds good stuff Luton, keep us posted mate. :D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  15. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Excellent News Luton, well done :D :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  16. mikesta

mikesta Bit Poster

Excellent news Luton and great incentive for other people to keep plugging away. Congrats! :king

17. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

That's brilliant Luton - I'm really pleased for you!

Cause for a celebration I think eh guys! :alc

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

A little bit late but congrats Luton. 8)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685