owww! head hurts already!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by moominboy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

:blink hi all, just thought id say that ive finally received my study books yesterday so hopefully the amount of dumbass questions should diminish, fingers crossed anyway! im a wee bit intimidated now as, when stacked, they all stand at about 2 .5 feet and weigh a ton and ive got to wade through it all. finished at half 4 this morning and just woke up, (10.40). anyone else pickle their brain thru self study? :)

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Dont overload yourself moominboy.

Although you're keen to learn studying too hard will cause you to forget more than you remember.

Take it in nice small easy steps, no more than say three hours a day of direct study, if you want to do more, then reseach what you have been learning, or try and apply it, but try not to overload yourself with information.

8)

3. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

Hello Moominboy,
    My first question is what do u mean u finished at 4 this morning. Is that work or study. If it's study your a better person than i am. :blink . I started with my a+ study yesterday and yes i know what u mean, my head hurts a bit too but i allow myself 3 hrs a morning ( 12 hrs a week ) as i work shift. I feel thats plenty. Having self studied before i know that if u try to do too much you will miss vital bits and will get bored. Set yourself a schedule to work too. Above all be disciplined.

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+
  4. moominboy

i know i shouldn't overload myself but to be honest ive just been wanting to know this stuff for ages and must admit the inner geek took over! didn't mean studying all night though, i spent a while going thru the hacking books, (good type!) i got to learn more about security, and trying things out in the registry, but thanks for the advice guys.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Simon. Cramming this stuff down your throat won't really help. Just give it a once over initially and then go back and start studying in more detail. When possible, practice what you are learning. This will help reenforce the reading part of your studies.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. moominboy

ta trip. i did initially think i could do it all in a few weeks but ive realised its going to take slow and steady work. i think im going to try to practice more than read tho, as im sure that;'d be the best way to learn it all.

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Excellent advice, tripwire45 and simongrahamuk! :)

In my studying experience, I found that I could
    study an hour or two and then had to walk away
    from the books(e.g. maybe watch television for a little
    while).

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I used to find that you had days when you were "in the zone", and others where it might just not be happening. If it were the latter, I basically decided that if I couldn't take in and understand 2 or 3 chapters in the time that I had, I would ensure that I fully understood at least one page. I would far rather spend 2-3 hours understanding a single concept than walk away and have taken nothing at all, and have to start the same 2-3 chapters again next time.

My opinions only.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have to admit that I've been there and done that too. I can remember days when I read the same two pages over and over and over again, just to try to have achieved something in that day.

If if aint going in, don't force it!

8)

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Same as Gav for me. I could spend aome times a week studying 1 chapter trying to get it to stay in my head :blink

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think we have all been in the same boat lol.

Moominboy you will naturally slow down once you realise that there is an endless amount to learn and that you will never know very much regardless of how long you study. The more you learn, the more you realise you don't know.

I am an MCSE and I only know a tiny portion of what IT is all about. That is why sites like this exist, we absolutely have to work together and help each other to grasp whatever it is we are trying to learn or achieve in the real world.

Good start with the 2.5 feet high stack. Mine is quite small in comparison to some others but I reckon, it would be 6 feet high and most of my learning is done on a PC :eek:

Can of worms I say, yes a veritable can of worms :biggrin

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think all of us have "been there and done that", at least all of us who really love learning and IT. I've spent many a day studying from 5:00 a.m. till my wife got home at 6:30 or in the evening, and the time flew by so fast I literally forgot to eat some days.

However, no one can keep up such a schedule for an extended period. You either learn to pace yourself or you'll break your health. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to learn to pace myself. I pay the consequences daily.

As Bluerinse said, this is a vast field. I have become very humbled by this field for I always considered myself to be pretty intelligent, yet the more I learn the more I realize just how ignorant I am about all things IT related. But, that's one thing that I love about this field. I'll learn till the day I die, and there will always be something I always be on the cusp of grasping or won't know. I'll ever be reaching for, but never quite reaching that status of guru. There will always be more to learn, and learning is living to me.

Take time to relax. Take time to enjoy life. You'll be fresher physically and mentally and your study time will be spent much more profitably.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. moominboy

im going to go against all advice here but only for a while. ive only got a year left before i leave the army so im hoping to be able to land a job with my a+ and maybe go for mcdst in this time as well, so i reckon i'll have to push myself just a little bit harder. after that tho i'll definitely slow it down and take my certs one at a time.

14. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Excellent studying advice here.

I have a terrible method of studying. At school and uni, I always use to cram everything into my brain a few weeks before the exams. I love that stress and adrenaline. It always work for me.

But I better be good now and study properly, no more last minute revision! Well, knowing me, it's hard to change :p

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  15. moominboy

yeah same with me. at school i just kinda absorbed everything, then my engineering course i just messed around and slept until the day before then crammed but to be honest i didn't really learn anything that way. still, ive got a variety of books to read so i'll just change subjects and flick thru them.

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yup. There is a huge paradigm shift between studying to learn and studying to get a grade. Studying to get a grade is what braindumpers do. Studying to learn is the only way you'll get actual skills.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1