OVERLORD GAME

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jul 28, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ecause the demo doesnt seem to n i dont want to sepnd 30 quid on a game that wont work as mostly these days games shop only do refunds for console games and not pc game because they dont sell many

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Well, your card is not on the supported chipsets list and the demo crashes to desktop when you run it. Codemasters are not going to tell you "don't buy the game"! As far as they are concerned they have already indicated to you that your chipset is not supported.

All the signs are there NOT to buy the game.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. greenbrucelee

yeah I know what you mean but they (codemasters) did say it should work

4. Mathematix

Ask them to clarify why if your card is not on the supported chipsets list why it should work. It's the cards on the supported list that should work, not the ones excluded from it.

Secondly, support teams rarely know what they're talking about, anyway. :)

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

DirectX is a HAL so it should solve most issues thats prob what the support team are hinting at, if the game absolutley requires advanced graphics features that are not supported in software then you may have an issue but its unlikely.

The test team will only have so much time/budget, they will only have tested it on certain OS version, DirectX and Hardware combinations. The permutations or combinatronics can be huge, thats why we have beta testing.

I'd buy the game from a store with a good refund policy if you are worried, tell them your concerns when you buy it and ask about exchange etc if you have issues.

Time to play games ? Get back to cert study ! :biggrin

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

My suggestion would be to download an evil 'drug and organised crime' funded pirate version. See if it works ok, if it does, go and buy it. Play.com have it for £24.99 delivered.

Job done. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

greenbrucelee,

Questions:
    1. Which CPU are you using?
    2. How much RAM do you have?
    3. How much free Hard Drive space do you have?
    4. Which Graphics card are you using?
    5. Which sound card are you using?
    6. Which operating system are you using?
    7. Which DirectX version are you using?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I't not uncommon for games to query DirectX for advanced features and give up when they are found missing. This might be whats happening.

You've got various options depending on how techy you wanna get.

1. Patch everything you can in hope it will fix.
    Update video drivers, update directX, update windows etc.

2. Turn off as many detail, high res etc options as possible.
    You monitor should be able to handle lower resolutions and refresh rates, its higher ones that normally cause issues.

3. Run diagnostic tools, DxDiag, 3DMark, lookk in event log, look for any dumped files etc. Look for error messages.

4. Produce a report for codemasters with all the relevant information you can find. Hope they can replicate your issue.

5. Get your hands dirty...
    This is probably not a good idea if you are very inexperienced but you can now get Visual Studio Express C++ and the DirectX SDK free ! :biggrin
    You could download both of these and try to get an idea of whats happening, of course you won't have the source so an idea of 80x86 assembler, DLL's, COM, process debugging etc would be usefull. Run the app, hopefully it will run long enough for you to debug by using connect to process.
    You can then send an exe/dll and line number, maybe even error code to codemasters.

Of course as has been stated the demo is not warranted to work, Its likely many bugs have be fixed in the release version, theres also likey patches for the release version.
    So It woiuld be best to conduct any real testing on the real deal, this might just be a waste of time unless you find the diversion entertaining !
    As has been stated its often when things don't work that we learn the most...

9. greenbrucelee

Study..... I take 2 days of a week which happen to be saturday and sunday so my brain can take a rest. :D

10. greenbrucelee

CPU is E6400 2.1GHz core 2 duo
    RAM 1GB
    Free Hard drive space 200GB
    Graphics card MSI 8600GT (although not on supported list Codemasters say it will work)
    On board sound - Realtek audio
    XP home
    DirectX 9 although my card is DirectX10 compatible too

Code master say this all checks out

But I havent yet told them that I can hear the game working at 800 x 600 res I just cant see it.

11. greenbrucelee

There wouldnt be time to run a debug using connect as soon as I click on the shortcut to launch I get the sorry overlord has had to close because of an error message.

12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would agree with the others here. The demo doesnt run. ergo the game wont run. dont buy it, leave it at that.

If the card isnt on the supported list, then it isnt supported. Its as simple as that. Not supported means that it MIGHT work, but they havent tested it and if you have problems running it on that hardware, they wont give you support for it. The fact they have given you so much support already (and for a demo no less) is astonishing.

That said, if you are intent on wanting to play the game, borrow a copy from someone who has it, and try it out on your machine. I suspect that it wont run anyway, but you can always try it and then buy yourself a copy if that works.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. greenbrucelee

Yeah thats the conclusion I have come to.

Its funny though because apparently Ghost recon 2 doesnt support my card (i think) but t demo works perfectly

14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

When you mention "Codemasters say it will work" who told you that, the Customer Service/Marketing department or the Tech Support department? If it's the Customer Service/Marketing department, then they're probably shining light where the sun don't shine to help maintain a belief that there's demand for the upcoming product.

Also, since your video card is an MSI product, it may not be an exact hardware match with the NVidia GeForce 8600 GT and therefore might be a possible glitch at the driver level. How about trying to load the actual NVidia driver for the GeForce 8600 GT instead of the MSI driver?

Is that DirectX 9.0c compatible?

Go to Start->Run and type in "dxdiag." Which specific version is in use? 9.0? 9.0a? 9.0b? 9.0c?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When upgrading drivers etc, try running Nasty File Remover (google for NFR).
    It's great for removing the trash left behind by old drivers and lets you do a clean upgrade.

It has sorted out a few of my problems before.

I've had problems with Codemasters before, and although they can be quite helpful, they never actually sorted the problem.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. greenbrucelee

Thanks for help guys, but alas I have come to the conclusion it wont run on my comp. I sent DXDIAG and event viewer logs from my system to codemasters and they have said my drivers etc are ok. They reckon its some sort of file that talks to the graphics cards is returning a null value. And because they havent tested the game on the new 8 series cards this is the problem.

They say if they see a demand then they will work for some sort of patch from 8500 8600 cards.

I suppose that shouldnt be too much trouble as the game works on the highest of the 8 series cards the 8800gtx. I guess just a few tweeks would be needed.

I just hope they do it.

I bought Ghost Recon 2 today fantastic game :D

17. Mathematix

Demand would have to be huge to make them rework even a small part of the graphics engine to support unsupported chipsets, and run the new patch through a QA and certification cycle.

Nowadays it's hard enough justifying a PC relaease of a game.

Nah, tweaks to engines never are trivial. The slightest change could break the graphics engine for a variety of reasons from initialisation to the graphics pipeline, etc.

18. greenbrucelee

They have just emailed me to ask for a new DXDIAG info since I downloaded the updated Nvidia drivers that must be the new info they want.

I must say they are helping a lot, they must want to sell more copies or they are just the most helpful game support people ever

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thats pretty impressive to see the codemasters actually help out that much. I had an issue with Diablo II and when I sent them an email it took a week to reply, and in their reply their methods of troubleshooting I've already done which wasnt very helpfull.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Oh Blizzard, the new Evil gaming overlords
    they are SO helpful are they not?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0