Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sambangert, Mar 13, 2008.

1. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I think research is the key here to have the best chance at a successful overclock. I have never done much more than up the speed of my Core 2 E6600 from 2.4 to 2.5Ghz, but because my current motherboard (ASRock 775DUAL-Vsta) was a budget buy, my OS becomes pretty unstable. This motherboard was not built to overclock, at standard speeds on the stock CPU cooler its been a good machine for over a year. The new Asus board should hopefully yield much better results. I have read many forums and message boards and done quite a bit of research before spending any money, and believe its possible to get my E6600 running at 3Ghz without too much trouble. In fact that was one of the reasons I purchased the E6600 last year, the Conroe core is the same as the £150 - £200 more expensive 3Ghz Extreme Edition C2D. I need to get a new CPU cooler, 2000rpm case fans and a few other bits, but will likely start an upgrade thread and post my progress and some photos. I intend to start off at stock speeds and make increases in small increments and see how it goes.

Just because Intel didn’t stamp the CPU with a clock speed over 2.4Ghz, doesn’t mean it cant run at a higher speed with the right addons. The Nissan Skyline comes out the factory with 335 BHP, but with the right addons the power output can be doubled, and the car remain reliable enough to be used everyday.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The trouble is you are becoming a system designer when you get involved in all this and you need to take into account a lot of factors.

The sames true with tuning a car, forced induction and other upgrades if done wrong can shorten the life of your engine. Bad forced induction can also generate extra heat so its a good analogy. People normally get an expert to help perform such upgrades and tune the engine and reprogram the ECU.

A processor is a mass market item, the manufacturers sometimes play tricks with marketing and manufacturing processes to make more money from the same designs. This is why some processors were multiplier locked because they were crippled versions of more powerful processors.

However there are also other variations, the manufacturing process can generate various deviations, sometimes the lower quality items are sold at the lower tolerances, other times the chips produced at old plants or with older larger micron processes etc are the bottom end.

So you need to do your research, and in reality unless you have good insider information you may never know for sure, your machine could fail at any point, theres no 3 yr burn in data about for new processors. So most people will give false positives and you will only find out its a mistake when a component fails, you will then know that it was definitely a bad idea.

3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Don't forget people ...

Everytime a system is overclocked ... a kitten dies :(

[​IMG]

p.s I'm a cat lover, please don't flame me. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. NightWalker

Oh man, I just want to pimp my PC, I don’t want to be responsible for the death of a kitten...
    Cant Intel do something about the illegal trade of migrant worker kittens, they put a paw wrong and they end up getting shot, just because kittens cant calculate the correct multiplier and RAM speed settings, its just plain wrong. :dry

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

And if any more evidence of what you say was needed Night ...

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. NightWalker

The only real concern I have with overclocking is what Vista's User Account Control may think of the situation...

[​IMG]

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Control Panel > User Accounts > User Account Control settings spring to mind? :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is brilliant, lmao thanks :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you disable UAC, Microsoft kills a kitten every hour until you re-enable it.

It's just not worth it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm currently at 8472 kittens and counting. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

But looking at your avatar the kittens are fighting back........ :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+