Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by Makaveli, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Is it possible to setup Outlook Express for one email account for multi-user use?

E.G.

[email protected]

So, 2 users on different machines can both receive all emails sent to that one account?

Hope that makes sense....

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Can't see any reason why not. (waits to be told how wrong I am!)

Since outlook express simply connects to a pop mail server then downloads any new messages it should be entirely possible, provided that a copy of the downloaded mail is kept on the mail server for the second client to download.

If the mail server that you are using deletes the mail after it has gone down the pop connection then no it's not possible.

8)

I could be really wrong on this!

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I have to disagree with Simon, as even if OE leaves a copy of the message on the server, it still effectively marks the message as read, therefore when the second person comes to download it, OE reports no new messages. However, I could equally be proved wrong .... The easiest way to achieve what you want is to use an email provider that gives you webmail as well (ie most). You could then both access the mailbox (or even one using OE, leaving a copy on ..., and theother using webmail )

The question I have to ask is - WHY ???

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

On NT Internet mail is used and it allows more than 1 user to have access to same email account and recieve all emails. Also there is issues with functionality in internet mail, also XP doesnt have internet mail....

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Maybe there's some way of configuring OE to use the same folders in Documents and Settings for both users? A registry tweak maybe?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As far as I rememb er OE stores it's folders within the local profile, that is of the user. The folder can not be stored on a network share, unlike Outlook where you can store the mailbox (pst file) anywhere. So the answer to Baba's question is no.

There are a couple of options that spring to mind but more info as to the current mail setup and perhaps the reasons as to why you need this facility.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As far as i am aware you need to use IMAP for this.
    This way you only view the mail on a remote server. Whoever's client is configured to view the mail can. Only when the mail is deleted from the server will it go.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT