Outlook express question.

Discussion in 'Software' started by flex22, Jun 20, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have Outlook Express set up on my desktop and my laptop.

Some mail is sent to the desktop OE and some to the laptop OE.This seems to be determined by original message sent rule.
    As in if I sent certforums an email from OE on my desktop, and they replied, then it would go to my desktop OE.
    It's not determined by the account, I'm sure, because I have emails sent to both OE's on different machines, even though they're both the same email address.

I want OE just to be on one machine now, so how do I transfer the mail in one OE over to another OE :?:

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This may help Flex:

http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good link Si. Flex, maybe check in your settings to see if the Delete messages from server is checked. If you uncheck this the messages should go to both machines. The problem with this is the mailboxes on the server get full rather quickly and then you have to delete them yourself. Watch out though as you end up with duplicates, triplicates ....etc.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Just in the process of trying to do this now.

I've backed up what it tell's me to backup, but I'm not sure how to get these across and onto the other machines OE.

Is it just a case of browsing the network finding to destination comp and putting them on their.

Anyway working on it now :arrow:

Edit: Basically that article is good, but it assumes your going over to a new OE install.The thing is I'm going over to another populated OE.
    So just not sure if I shoudl be doing anything differently :?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Flex, as the quote says above the relevant email messages are stored in a file with the associated folder name (say inbox.dbx). If you are going to transfer to your machine that already has an inbox.dbx, you need to rename the one that is being imported to something else, say otherinbox.dbx or stuff.dbx, it doesn't matter what the name is as long as they are not the same. Copy the dbx files to the same location (folder) that yours are in. You can do a search to be sure you have the right identity, search for *.dbx and you will make sure where they are.

Then from within OE create a shortcut to the newly copied folder and all the contained emails will show, when you click on the folder icon. From there, you can just drag and drop individual emails into whichever folder you desire.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Cheers Bluerinse, that's what I needed clarification on, in terms on renaming.

I'll have a go tonight after work.

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Copy the .dbx files to a cd/network share/floppy then in OE click file - import - messages, follow the onscreen instructions and on the location of messages screen point it to the .dbx files that you backed up off the other machine

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Thanks very much to everybody who replied to this thread.You've all been very helpful[​IMG]

Just got round to doing this.All seems well.

Now I have another question.What would you recommend I do with the old outlook express on my desktop computer.
    I've transferred the identity value from the registry over to my laptop.
    Should I delete the value from my dekstop in the registry or leave it, I'm not quite sure?
    Don't think I need it now, but some confirmation off the brainiacs would be helpful[​IMG]

I'll empty my inbox etc from OE on my desktop computer.
    Also would you recommend uninstalling OE, or just leave it?
    Don't suppose it matters, but just wondering.

9. sfinks

sfinks New Member

problems with Outlook Express??? Try it... Outlook Express crash Repair
    Outlook Express database
    Outlook Express crash Repair Outlook
    Express database