Outlook Express 6 problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Afternoon all,

Not entirely sure why friends keep bringing computer problems to me as I can rarely sort them out, but I always like to try!

Here is the set up:

OS - Windows XP Home
    ISP - BT
    Anti Virus - Norton
    Spyware checker - None
    Email client - Microsoft Outlook Express 6

Computer is a year old Dell, tag HP59Q1J

The email was apparently working fine until February this year. BT then made some changes, something to do with ID (owner not sure). Their description is "BT applied a filter, Norton thinks it a virus".

The problem they are experiencing is when they attempt to reply to an email, or compose a new message, they are disconnected from the internet. This happens every time. The only current option to send mail is to compose it offline, then reconnect to send.

No error messages are being received and there are no other problems with the computer.

My thoughts of settings to check to begin with are as follows:

• Ensure "hang up after sending/receiving" is not checked
    • Ensure "Disconnect if idle for..." is not checked
    • Ensure mail account is specified correctly in Accounts
    • Increase server time out

I fear however the above deal with disconnections AFTER sending mail, rather than before.

BT support desk have been very unhelpful so far, hence their plea for help from me!

I suspect this may be a Norton issue, but not sure where to start with fixing it.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated as always

Many thanks

Karen (off out to get some sun but will be back on later 8) )

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If BT changed the way email works, and Norton is attempting to filter email then probably the best way to deal with this is to completely remove Norton and reinstall.

Or you could ask Norton - if this was something BT did then there must be many others in this boat and the Norton help-desk should know about it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well you mention this filter from BT...my question would be what is this filter and why did BT put it on? And if Norton thinks its a virus, well get rid of Norton cos it thinks harmless things are viruses and the ones that are viruses it dont notice them (well sometimes) and no surprise BT are not being helpful...but someone from BT should say what this filter thing is...cos if thats when the problem started then I would have words and get answers....dont burn yourself now Karen...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Karen44,

One test to see if Norton is a factor is to temporarily disable e-mail scanning. Then send an e-mail to yourself (like a hotmail, yahoo, or other) or an alternate e-mail address and see if the problem doesn't exist. If the problem does not exist, then it's reasonable to suspect that Norton is the factor.

However, if the problem does not go away, then that "BT filter" may be a factor. See if you can go into Windows Task Manager and click the "Applications" and "Processes" tabs to figure out which application/process is the BT filter. If it's an application, then head over to "add/remove programs" and uninstall the application. If it's a process, then I don't know what to do other than post back that you still have problems.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Sorry guys, haven't managed to speak to my friend as yet (she works away a lot), but wanted to thank you for your replies in the meantime!

I'll let you know how we get on....

Thanks again

Karen

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE