Outlook 2003 question

Discussion in 'Software' started by steveh2001, Nov 25, 2006.

1. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hi guys - quick question....

Someone using outlook on 2003 on an exchange server - I need to change the location of their global address list. To do this i have been advised to re-create their outlook profile, normally simple, i took the location of his PSTs and i can just re-create it. but he has a number of personal contacts (in the address book, under contacts). Are these stored on the mail server, or locally? If so are these re-created with the outlook profile? I tried to find a save option, but couldnt see one :(

Many thanks for any help :D

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can export local contacts and then import them if needed. In regard to the GAL you cant really edit it (unless you have been given permissions) as it sits on the Exchange server. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

The problem is their outlook is pointing at the wrong GAL and i need to adjust this to the correct GAL? (i can edit the GAL itself, but this is locally on the users machine) But i was going to do this by recreating their Outlook profile - i had a look in export but couldnt find out how to export the contacts :(

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Steve,

You can export the .pst files to a path. The Wizard will then ask you what you want to export. From here, if you scroll down the list , you should see contacts, calender etc.....

There is also a tick box for *include all subfolders*

Hope this helps.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers Si - had a quick go at this on my home PC - i see how to get to the menu - but when i opt to save the contacts, it comes up as a PST file - is this normal?

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Steve,

I am not at my house at the mo, otherwise I would try it on the boyce.local domain!

I can only recall exporting *everything* (local machine
    ) via the export wizard. From here, select export > .pst file and then you should see contacts after scrolling past the inbox, sent, stuff for me, crap, PC stuff etc.

Hope this helps.

Si

7. Sparky

You can configure Outlook to point (by default) at the GAL or a PAB or the Outlook address book (contacts) when you need to add an address to an email.

I would be surprised if you are editing the GAL, it sounds like you are editing the Outlook address book. As Boyce said you can export the address book to .pst and then import it to another profile. This feature works well as Ive had to migrate many workgroup environmnents to domain environments and often all the users need everything from Outlook in their domain profile. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Oh, I almost forgot, there is a handy little utility from MS called PFbackup, and although it has worked fine for local accounts I have never used it for exchange.

Si

9. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Basically when you go to the address book and look at the GAB, right click properties, this is pointing at the wrong place (the actual address book itself, not the option for GAB or personal contacts), i need to re-create their profie to make this point at the right GAB. However as you say i need to make sure that the outlook contacts bit is safe, i just wasnt sure if the contacts were stored in a PST or another file, but ill give it a go on my own outlook :D

Thanks for the help guys :D

10. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Just thinking - if you go "go - folder list" to view the entire mailbox (calander, inbox, journal, etc) - contacts is present in this, which would imply that the contacts (personal, not GAB) are stored on the mail server?

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You've got to remember that Oulook can be used in various ways. Mine at work is purely off the exchange server. That means I have access to the GAL and my own Contacts and these are both stored on the server. You could also have personal folders that are stored as .pst files either in the local/network profile, on the local machine or on a network share. This means that the GAL is stored on the server you can have contacts in your stored in your mailbox and an address list in the personal folders.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Hmm - the users mailbox's at work are working off an exchange environment, but they have mailbox limits - so most people have PST's located locally or on a share also.

I thought "mailbox" was a cumulitive term for Calander, Contacts, Mail, Journal, Notes, Tasts etc and so anything included in the users "mailbox" would be stored on the exchange server as it is an exchange environment?

13. AJ

Spot on Steve, but when pst files come into the equation then users can start storing stuff all over the place - locally or on a network share

14. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers AJ!

So i suppose the first thing is to work out is where his PAB is stored, either on the mail server or in a PST? I guess if i right click on the "contacts" bit in the address book and look at the properties, it will either give a PST location, or a mailbox name?

Or I could open up the folder list view, show the user the mailbox contacts and ask if those are all the ones he is talking about?

15. Sparky

Lots of address books flying around here! :biggrin

Steve, there are 3 types of address books in Outlook (if it is in an Exchange environment).

The PAB (personal address book) has to be created by a user. One good thing about the PAB is that it can be emailed to other users and they just have to open it rather than importing it (if I remember correctly). The extension of this is .pab

The Outlook address book is stored in .pst format and can be exported and imported between profiles. This is the default Outlook address list for users to modify and edit as they need to. This is also created by default in comparison to the PAB which a user has to create and then start using it.

The Global Address List (GAL) is stored on the Exchange server and generally not modified by users unless the Exchange admin has changed the default permissions.

The link below might be of some help:
    http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/cfsxp/office/contacts.html

16. AJ

Nice one sparkey thanks for clarifying that :thumbleft

17. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Turned out it was stored on their mailbox (went to the address book, right clicked on the contacts, it came as "username - mailbox" so i recreated his profile and this pulled in the correct address book.

Thanks for everyones help!