Outlook 2003 is having issues!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Evening all!

I have Outlook 2003 which has been running fine up until around a week ago.

Every few seconds I get a pop up box titled "Enter Network Password". It is asking me to provide my user name and password, however these are pre-filled already for me. I click OK, the box pops back up, I click Cancel and yet again the box pops up! :x

I can still send and receive mail, however I also get the error message that my user name and password were not valid. If this is true - why is my mail still delivered?! :blink

The Enter Password box seems to just pop up whenever it feels like it, yet is serving no purpose other than to annoy me!

I use Virgin as my ISP and can also retrieve my mail through the website with no problems.

I have 4 different email accounts with Virgin and have randomly received the pop up box for all 4 accounts at one time or another, but not all at the same time.

Sometimes, I'll get the pop up every few seconds, then it will go away for a few hours.....then it's back again!

Before I go mad....does anyone have any ideas?!

Many thanks,
    Karen :(

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Do you leave Outlook open all the time?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

If Im using the computer, yes. I always shut it down if I go out

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know what your talking about Karen...i had a similar problem when I was using Outlook Express most of last year with another ISP. It kept popping up with an Enter Password box and it was doing my head in...in the end I went into the accounts section and just kept changing....err....yikes I have 4gotten what I changed...:rolleyes: but whatever I did it did the trick but only for a short while and I kept going back and forth into the accounts and changing whatever it was back and forth...now the reason I cant remember is cos I dont use it anymore...but am sure once u get in there you will know what I am talking about...I think...or just wait till someone else comes up with a solution...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

7. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Thanks Tripwire. I often stumble across that site when trying to sort out problems....never quite found it in me to stump of $9.95 a month though!! :oops:

Er.....thanks.....I think lol! :biggrin I'll go into the Accounts section and, er, look around!!

Karen

8. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

I'll try this - at least I may only get the pop up every now and then, rather than every few seconds! :rolleyes: :(

Cheers Trip :biggrin

9. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Ok, so far so good, seem to have fixed it!

I just went into the Email Accounts and a random extra account was shown. It was a duplicate of another account but with a different password. So it would seem, although I was receiving mail on the correct account, it was the random one that was causing the problems.

Not too sure where it came from - seems the gremlins have been round again! (Or I've been playing after one too many of those vodkas!! :oops: )

Thanks anyways guys :biggrin :biggrin

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I just hope it was vodkas and not something a bit more malicious. Never know when an unwanted critter has been playing configuration games.

11. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

:eek: Im pretty protected, but will run some extra scans just to be sure!

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

The "less frequent checks" idea is plausible actually, in that the mail server is probs configured to limit the amount of concurrent and/or repeat POP connections from the same IP. That's certainly something I implemented on our mail servers in my last job (moreso for SMTP in my case, to cut down on spammers and relay-junkies).

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity