Other I.T Chatrooms, Forums, Opinions etc

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by IT 2005, Dec 18, 2005.

1. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

Hi this is a great site for tips and advice and chat are there any other sites i can visit to get even more information, advice, support, chat etc?
    Thanks
    :D

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Without meaning to sound too cheeky, try HERE

Should help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SamuelClyde

SamuelClyde Nibble Poster

Well As far as Support/Chat goes I Guess you could Look into IRC servers

Most things have a IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Room dedicated to them, Sometimes even a whole server.

Unforntuantly I dont know of any specific rooms/servers you can look at but client wise www.mirc.com [mIRC] or www.xchat.org [XChat]

Edit: And as Jakamoko says Google is your friend

I For One Welcome Our New Google Overlords :)

WIP: GCSE's / Network +
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, CertForums is a Discussion Board although it has a chat room as well that is used occasionally. As far as other IT discussion boards, the sky's the limit. I think we all have our favorites and I believe someone even started a thread some weeks back where we all listed our favorite sites.

Frankly, it depends on what you are looking for. I like CF because it has a lot of activity...frankly, more than most other discussion boards I've seen. I also like CF because so many IT newbies come on board and I tend to lean in that direction in terms of what I write and teach.

There are other boards I'm involved in and I guess it wouldn't be "spamming" just to list them and my involvement. All of the names below are clickable links:

Tech-Unity is a general tech forum but has additional components such as boards dedicated to Novell products and certs. The admin Tomshawk has also implemented a number of hacks on the forum software (vBulletin...same type as used by CF) so there are a lot of interesting features.

The Linux Tutorial is just that. A tutorial site for Linux. It's based on a book written by the admin jimmo but also has forums and an active news page and news archives focused (but not exclusively) on Linux. The site sees a lot of activity but not particularly in the boards. Most of the activity occurs on the tutorial pages. There are also handy web links and other resources available, plus the chance to participate and add something to the site. Go there for details.

There are more, but my daughter just informed me that I have "taxi driver" duties to perform. I'll post again and add some others. In the meantime, if you think of what you are looking for in terms of IT forums specifically, I might be able to narrow the list down a bit.

BTW, you *really* don't need to increase the size of your font beyond the default and bold it. We can "hear" you just fine. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

I'm finding http://www.hackthissite.org/ to be quite decent site if you want to learn about network security, html, etc.
    The forums are quite informative & you can test youself with the challenges (I'm on Basic4 & stuck already :D).

Well worth a look.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  6. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

Hi all

sorry i should have been more specific.

i am looking to do research on the opinions of others on IT Training Companies, are they good, bad, do they provide materials that they promise, tutor support any good, and wanted specific links to other websites offering theses opinions

thanks

7. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

sorry for big print, over the years my eyes have got worse since looking at computers all day, i now wear traynor pin hole glasses developed in 2nd world war, they really do work and strengthen the eyes and improve eyesight, i am siiting here looking at the screen with many tiny pin holes to see through hence the large print, have just taken them off to use the normal print size, anyone interested can do a search on google for traynor glasses they cost about £25

8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Then again, if you're running an IM client we're available too.

PS.....a quick apology for all those folks I send IM's to and they're like "WTF is this?" :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What's this - spamming our Members here, the_G ? :tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I would never do anything like that.

Now, send me $20 or I'll send your email address to...............

LMAO!!!

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

yeah its great fun :D

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  12. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

http://certcities.com/forums/ is another one I use. It's similar to this board but US based as opposed to UK based, so if you're researching UK training companies you're probably in the best place here.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its also worth noting that most people are more vocal when they feel they have been short-changed therefore I wouldn’t disregard a training provider on a few harsh words from some students.

Some companies provide classroom training as well as providing study materials so you may want to consider what type of training you feel you might require. Furthermore how much £££ you can invest in your training will obviously influence your decision.

As a general rule don’t sign on the dotted line unless you feel 100% comfortable with your decision and you know exactly what training will be provided.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs