OSs

Discussion in 'Software' started by bob667, Nov 27, 2005.

1. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Logging off for a bit guys, I'd really like to continue this discussion if you're still around later, if not, thanks alot for all the help, cleared up alot of questions and raised alot more, which is always good, means I'm learning :biggrin

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+, 70-270
  2. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

Sorry bout lastnight guys, stepbrother was on the pc :scratch

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

What's the downside, if there is one? :hhhmmm

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

VMware doesn't support *every* OS on earth so there's a limit to the diversity of virtual machines you can create. You'll want to explore the link I provided to find out what VMware Workstation does and doesn't support.

If you want to run up to eight VMs at once (ohmigawd!), you'll need one monster of a machine in terms of RAM and processing power. Virtual Machines share the host machine's resources so you'll need enough RAM to support your host machine plus any of the VMs you plan on running at the same time (you can run any combination of VMs at once and even create "teams").

The host hardware requirements are about the only "downside" I experience with VMware. Depending on your goals, you can create entire networks inside the virtualization software so you could be running a small MS AD domain (for example) all inside one physical box.

If you haven't already, nose around VMware's site a bit and explore the features of VMware Workstation. You can even download a demo and play with it for awhile to test it out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. bob667

bob667 Nibble Poster

cool, I'll do that then, thanks mate :biggrin :thumbleft