os requirements

Discussion in 'A+' started by st giles, Aug 18, 2005.

1. st giles

st giles Nibble Poster

hi chaps,
    As you know i am going to start studying for the A+ cert and am in the process of getting some hardware together.
    Can anyone tell me, is windows 9x a actual operating system or another word for 95 or 98??? If so do i need it?.
    The same with windows nt 4.0. Is this at all similar to 2000?
    Above all which OS'es do i need to perform the labs i really need to do? Look forward to hearing from you all. :blink

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Windows 9x is another way of saying win 95/98. The x means that it is built on that platform, which is different from windows NT.

Windows 95/98 are built on the 9x platform, where as Win 2000 and XP were built from what was originally the Windows NT Platform.

You can find more information Here

As for needing a copy I wouldn't think that the current objectives would require you to have copies of these old products, so you should be ok with 2K/XP

8)

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Yes, the term "Windows 9x" refers to the Windows 95 and 98 operating systems. As far as the official objectives, you can get them here:

http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/objectives.aspx

Just fill out the form and click the "Get Exam Objectives" button. You'll then be able to download the objectives in PDF form. It should say which operating systems you are responsible for knowing. Once you have your ducks in a row, then you can set up the labs you need to learn the info.

Certifications: A+ and Network+