OS Exam Help Needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

This is talked about in the Mike Meyers book regarding PnP device Installation. What does it mean? I can get a hold of the concept.
    Could someone help?

Operating systems only contains drivers for chipsets as old as they are. If a new chipset comes out, they invariably fail to see it, causing other problems such as PnP failures

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

PnP stands for plug and play. Simply put, you *plug" in the device and are instantly able to *play* with it ie. there is no requirement to install drivers or configure the device.

This means that Windows XP (released in 2001) is not going to have built in drivers for a chipset released last month (assuming it hasn't been updated). Therefore, PnP and other functions may not work fully until the correct drivers for the chipset have been manually installed.

HTH.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A classic example of what Baba is talking about is with modern AMD motherboards when WinXP is installed.

Nearly always the sound doesn't work because it doesn't recognise the chipset, and so can't run the PnP routines correctly.

Installing the motherboard drivers (which is the first thing you should do after installing WinXP) nearly always sorts this out.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hence why PnP sometimes gets dubbed Plug and Pray :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

The guys said it well. PnP simply means, buy a kool expansion card....plug it in.....boot the system......and enjoy! Bear in mind, its not limited to cards, but also devices like flash drives, mp3 players, printers, etc. However, manufacturers include special drivers to ENHANCE the PnP performance. Like an Nvidia video card.

However, drivers are needed in order for the system to recognise/detect certain PnP devices.....such as a modem I installed a while ago. Since PCI slots are managed by the chipsets, a new device would not be recognised - since the XP OS chipset drivers were only made and supported up to 2001. That's why the system didn't recognise the new modem I installed. So I NEEDED to install separate drivers to update the OS in order for it to recognise the modem. So, I would argue that it varies in "some" cases.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270