Optical Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi guys

i seem to have a prob on my PC... all my CD-RW and DVD rom drives have gone!! they dont appear on my computer and in device manager i have ! marks :(

i restarted the PC and they still not there! even my virtual drive doesnt appear!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What changes have you just made to your computer? Have you installed anything? Uninstalled anything? Has it crashed? Lost power?

Here's what I'd try first of all. Find out what drivers they use and where they are located in Device manager. Then uninstall the drives in device manager and delete the drivers. Then reboot and let the system reinstall the drives and drivers.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i done that... im thinking its a windows update... how can i roll-back (time to use that nice feature MS tell us about) the drivers? i thought of going through Add/remove programs...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Did it have any Roxio Burning software on it that has been uninstalled ?

I have seen it before when uninstalling this software the drives disappear

If so there is a link somewhere on there website that i have used before that tells you what registry keys have to be modified to get them back

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100