opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread22479.html

edit: wrong link before, doh. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, there is the 8800GT 512MB and the 8800GTS 512MB (not to be confused with the 320/640 GTS's).

They are both based on the new G92 chip from Nvidia. So even though the memory interfaces is lower spec, many other areas of it's performance are much much higher.

The GT has 112 shaders (as opposed to the 96 of the old GTS 320MB) and the GTS 512MB has the full 128 like the GTX and Ultra. The GTS is hardly any faster than the GT though and typically 50 or 60 quid more expensive. Your money is better spent buying a pre-overclocked GT (of which there are quite a few around).

I went for the Xpertvision 8800GT as it's one of the few available at the moment which have moved away from the reference design. It takes up two slots instead of one (unlike the standard GT) as it has a custom heatsink on it. More headroom to overclock basically. :)

Here is a quick example of a reference design 8800GT when compared to other cards. My GT is currently pulling scores faster than a GTX due to the overclocking.

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I wasn't sure on the quad core as I had just seen the new quad cores with 12MB cache then I saw the price and thought I'll stick with c2d but after seeing the price of the q6600 I'll get one of those. :D

I have never done it before, I may do it on an older PC to see how its done, but I won't on this one.

Cheers for that I did see one the other day which was overclocked and cheaper too, It'll save some cash too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I personally am a fan of the pickled variety, although I have been known to use the red type, but I do find......

.....oh, opinions, sorry, misread it.....:D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

LMAO!! you crack me up mate :biggrin

GBL...that looks like a sweet machine...I especially love the case...as you know I have two myself :D and if u r looking into modding and I mean serious modding look here. This is my next project...it all looks so mind boggling...but would be good fun :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. greenbrucelee

I'm still not decided but I do prefer the Antec p182b case over the gaming one, I was looking around last night and couldn't find many p182s as a lot are selling rapidly it seems, but its still 5 months before I'm doing it.

As for modding I have never done it and wouldn't want to destroy a perfectly powerful PC although I am into tidy cable management. :) for obvious airflow reasons.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I know what u mean mate...but thats why I am going to start on a cheap case first...practice on it...then when I build my Spider based machine by about Sept/Oct 2008 I will have another Antec 900 case and once I have mastered the art of case modding...I shall mod this baby to some extreme :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

Sounds cool, let me know how it goes and good luck :)

9. greenbrucelee

Isn't it funny how prices differ?

I have just priced up the same spec PC on overclockers.com but with a more expensive cpu cooler and 4GB RAM and its £120 cheaper than the one I had priced at Novatech. :blink:)

I am I right in thinking that OEM on harward means you don't get any drivers or cables?

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes thats what OEM means my dear boy :biggrin which I prefer for the likes of HDD, DVD drives and CPU. But I am surprised its £120 cheaper on Overclockers, cos I have compared specs before I always find them to be more pricey on Overclockers than on say Ebuyer...which is where I always buy my stuff...unless of course its the ThermalTake PSU :biggrin I mean even bought my 2GB GeIL DDR2 sticks from Micro Direct...so I guess even tho I get the majority of my parts from ebuyer it pays to get others from elsewhere if the price is right and u know the brand very well :D

11. greenbrucelee

cool

I amy do a shop around for various parts when its time, I'd just be a bit pissed off if they all arrived on different days.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

haha..thats what a lot of people say...but I am only bothered about if im building a machine for someone else...where as for me...I dont mind how long it takes...I can sometimes buy 2 or 3 parts at a time or just one if its rather pricey...for example I can choose to buy a CPU on its own if its more than £100 or buy 2 DVD writers with a HDD and also possibly RAM if its all under £150 but when it comes to monitors well thats when I make sure I have enough...hehe...but for me it makes sense to spread the cost over a certain period rather than go for all at once...cos u never know when u might something better later on that u wished u had waited that little bit longer...:biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

I suppose so :D