OpenOffice Writer Question

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Months ago, I installed both Office 2003 and OpenOffice on my work computer. When I want to open or create a document, I have the option of opening the doc in either Word or Writer. Since people in my office use both, it's very handy to be able to create documents in both.

A few weeks ago, I downloaded OpenOffice on my laptop which already had Office XP loaded on it. Now all my documents, even the ones created in Word, show the OpenOffice icon. They say they are Word documents but to open them in Word, I have to right click the doc and choose Opens with and then choose Word. If I just double-click the Word doc, it opens in Writer instead.

If I try to create a new doc by right-clicking in an area, no MS Office options are even available...only OpenOffice. Obviously, OpenOffice has somehow become my default office application. How can I change the settings to allow me to use both of them with equal ease? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Trip, if you go to Tools>Folder Options>File types, and select .doc, then choose MS Word, does that re-introduce the option to open or create a new document for Word as well as OpenOffice in your context menus ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

In either Word or OpenOffice Writer, clicking on tools does not offer a choice for Folder Options. I know I've used Folder Options before but cannot recall where. Could you tell me where I should be starting? Thanks.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

From any Explorer-based window, Trip. I tried it out earlier, so that's where to start at least - even if it's not the answer you're looking for.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Duh

Forgot. Never grow old, Gav. Memory is the first thing to go. I found it, tried it, did it. It works. Thanks. Gold star for the day, Mr. Armadillo. :)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news I've already posted. All of my MS Word docs, no matter what folder they are stored in on the computer, open with Word by default.

The bad news is that when I go to create a new document, I do not have word as an option. Assistance, please.

7. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Not sure whether i'm on the right track or not - do you mean you haven't got the word option in openoffice? Give a bit more detail and i may be able to help you as i use openoffice at work (yes, my company is cheap!!) lol

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco