Opening folders taking too long

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 2, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you tried flask? ...btw, you may have the problem with another software, if it is down to the codec, have you tried _omni_'s suggestions?

i use divx and Nimo codec and found that fixed the prob, try this http://nimo.titanesk.com/modules/freecontent/index.php?id=1 it might help, you can always uninstall it...

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Did someone say these files were originally capltured from VHS?

I had a problem encoding some files in Nero that were captured from VHS. Nero kept hanging same as here. I contacted Nero technical support (an oxymoron), I never really got a solution but they said the cause was down to skipped frames in the original capture (most likely due to a poor quality source recording as well as VHS being analogue and crap) that the encoding software doesn't like.

Hope that answers the question.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

No, I haven't tried Omni's suggestions yet, I burnt all the rest of the files to DVD yesterday and left just 1 of the trouble files to experiment with, will start on those suggestions this afternoon, if any of Omni's don't work then I'll try yours.

I never had a problem burning any files to DVD using Nero, the only reason I had to use TMPGEnc is becuase I needed a software to convert the mpeg2 files and save it to the hard drive so I could use Shrink, as far as I know I can't do this with Nero which will convert the files but burn straight to DVD and so, does not save it to the HD.

4. Mr.Cheeks

there is always DVD Santa aswell if you want to convert them to .ifo files, anyway enough of the diff proGs cuz we might be breaking the rules...

5. mikehende

I had looked into DVD Santa but I am looking for "freeware" to do this simply becuase it definitely will not be something I will be using often, as a matter of fact, now that I am done with all of my transferring and burning I honestly don't know when next I will have use for these softwares.

As for discussing "different programs" here, I can't see any reason why this would be breaking any rules?

6. mikehende

Ok Omni, ready to proceed if you will, first question, where is this thumbs file located? All I see in the converted folder are 2 folders [Video_TS and Audio_TS] and when I open the video folder, I don't see a thumbs file in there?

7. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

if a thumbs file is there, it will be hidden. be sure to configure the settings to let you view hidden files, if you haven't already done so.

if you've already done so and there is no thumbs.db file in your folder, proceed to the next suggestion.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  8. mikehende

The thumbs file is not there so I went to Run and typed
    regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

and it says "suceeded"

I don't seem to be having any problems opening the folder now so I am hoping this took care of it but just for the knowledge, what exactly did I do above please?

9. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

glad it worked.

the regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll command disables the preview (the one in the "details" in the left pane) for media files.

i imagine a part of an installed codec got deleted, and windows, in trying to make the preview (which it does automatically i believe) isn't able to load the missing file (which belongs to the codec associated with the media file) and thus hangs.

if you want to re-enable it, just run regsvr32 shmedia.dll.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  10. mikehende

Appreciate the answer and thanks a million both to you and the rest of the guys here for all of the help in this project, until next issue!! :biggrin

11. Mr.Cheeks

Ahhh - good to see you problem has resolved! :thumbleft