OpenFiler

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phoenix, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Just thought I would share this little tidbit with you, been playing with a linux distro called OpenFiler, it is a NAS/SAN in a box basically with iSCSI support, NFS/CIFS, FTP/HTTP/WebDAV and simplifies the concept of linux lvm and software raid into the similar format of any other filer product

in under 20 mins I had it up and running, syncing the 1.5TB Raid5 array took most the day, but the space was still usable during that time, just not protected by Raid5

It's perticularly interesting to those VMware junkies out there looking to play around with ESX on some cheap hardware as you can present cheap IDE storage as iSCSI Luns for use by ESX (or NFS shares which ESX also supports now) (you may need to do a few hacks to the IET (iSCSI Enterprise Target) due to some problems with some if its SCSI commands which VMWare doesnt like all that much, but plenty on the VMTN forums about it

It also has some neat features that are more often seen in enterprise SAN boxes such as timed snapshots, and a loose form of replication and HA clustering (more in later releases)

A very great use of Open Source software and a promising development

www.openfiler.com

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Thanks, bro. I've been meaning to kick the tires on one for a while now.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE