Open source is on the move

Discussion in 'Software' started by ffreeloader, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

IBM is heading a new multi-conglomerate consortium named Aperi whose goal is to develop open source software for data management. Read the rest here

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

interesting read there freddy, but isn't ibm a part of the conglomorate pushing DRM?

and wouldn't there be a clash of interests?

i'm sure im just missing the point so if you could clarify for me a wee bit?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I don't know that IBM is a part of that or not. I do know that IBM has been involved with open source quite a bit. Last September they turned over the source code for speech engines such as that used in Dragon Naturally Speaking to open source organizations. They have made quite a bit of the code they have written over years available through open source, and they have been a Linux supporter for quite a few years. It's Cisco and a lot of the others that are brand new to this.

IBM is actually responsible for the the PC boom because they allowed companies to copy their hardware designs right from the start. That's why we have so many PC "clones" available today.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

yeah i read the pc bit in meyers book but didn't realise they were involved with software open source.

must've got my wires crossed about the first point then!

cheers freddy! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+