Problem Open .eml files in Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm having some issues opening an EML (Outlook Express file) in Outlook 2007.

Initially it wouldnt open at all, but after upgrading to SP2, and applying the fix here it no longer errors.

Instead, if I run the command from run as specified, it opens the .eml file fine. However, if I simply double click on the file, it opens a blank email, with the file as an attachment. Double clicking on the attachment file in the email just causes another of the same to open.

Does anyone know what else I might be missing?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

It looks to me like you followed the instructions correctly, and it is now doing what you told it to do :D

It doesn't say in the article that you can now double-click on an EML file to launch it, so I guess you are out of luck with that.

One option, depending on your needs, would be to Right-click on any EML file and choose Open With, then select Microsoft Word, if you tick the box to say always use Word you have a (possibly) useful workaround?

This would do the trick if all you need is to be able to view the messages by double-clicking - and hyperlinks in them would still work.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  3. Fergal1982

Well, not really. It states

Implying that the hotfix allows double clicking of the file, in addition to being able to use the run option (which doesnt require the hotfix to be applied if you want to use it).

Also, does it not seem just a tad ridiculous that running the same command from run opens it fine, but double clicking (which according to the registry runs the same command) has a different result? Surely it would be one way or the other, no?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

Agreed!

I'm not sure what I took the also to mean, but it wasn't command-line plus double-clicking - probably didn't think deeply enough about it, but it was obviously not the same meaning you took from it.

I tried it on a virtual PC just now (XPSP2, Office 2007 SP2) and was unable to double-click EML files until I associated them with either Outlook Express or Word.

Doesn't work with Outlook 2007 or Internet Explorer 8, the latter surprising me slightly?

Even editing the association and giving the Open command the exact instruction as per the MS page, i.e. "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" /eml "%1" made no difference.

Just for fun, using right-click to associate it, you can even open the EML in Excel if you wanted to! :oops:

As I said, I think it depends what you need it for? As a file-viewer, Word is adequate, if not slightly over the top? Outlook Express or Windows Mail would show you the email addresses and subject, but Replying would be confusing, since it wouldn't be using the full Office Outlook.

Is it for yourself or for users?

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  5. Fergal1982

Its just for myself to be honest. And mainly just for looking at files spat out from another system.

Ideally I would prefer to be able to open in Outlook so I could forward it if required, but I can make do with IE or word I suppose.

6. Fergal1982

Brilliant, whilst it exhibits the behaviour I noted on a double click, right clicking, and selecting open with Outlook makes it perform as expected. weird.