Online Proctored Exam

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by JK2447, Sep 7, 2017.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi all, just looking at options for booking a Microsoft exam, and this is an option. Have any of you selected this option? What did you think? Seems pretty cool to me and saves on travel but I've never done this before.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I've never attempted it, mainly because in work I couldn't guarantee no distractions, and at home I couldn't guarantee internet connectivity. If the connection drops then the exam is invalidated. And my home connection does drop out about once or twice a week so it seems like an unnecessary risk.

JK2447 likes this.
  3. ClaireAgutter

ClaireAgutter New Member

I've done a few online exams now, at home and in hotel rooms. As long as it's a live proctor (not software proctored and reviewed later), my experience has been it's really smooth (and for me, a bit more relaxing than visiting a test centre!). It's best to have a reliable internet connection (most companies will have a pre-check option you can use), but if your connection does drop the exam can normally be recovered. My experiences come from Peoplecert and EXIN. Good luck!

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Interesting that you were able to continue the exams after connection failures. I'll have a look into Microsoft's policies on it. One other reason I forgot about was toilet breaks. Lol. I like to feel hydrated before an exam so..

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Did ITIL exam online, was nerve racking.. dont blink twice in 5 seconds or you're branded a cheat!.. also did an apple cert but it was openbook with no cameras... overall Id say go to the test centre if the option is there..

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Nah, its bad enough having the NSA watch me at home through my iphone and playstation eye.

7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I've done my MCSA online last year, 5 exams altogether (few retakes). Not had much choice as there wasn't much availability in centres when I wanted to do the exams without long commute. Did one at work and the rest at home. Overall it was great for me - you can schedule exams for next day if you want, felt quite relaxed doing them at home. Had these retake vouchers (3 retakes or sth, they're not available any more) - maybe that was a big factor:)

My connection dropped once during an exam - proctor started calling my mobile which I wasn't answering obviously - luckily it came back quickly and I was allowed to continue. Remember you need an uncluttered room with no screens, posters etc. If you worry about the connection just book a meeting room at work and put some sign on the door just in case someone would come in.

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Cheers Nyx. I'll order a book and begin studying. I usually like to start studying before I guess at when I feel I'll be ready for an exam. Appreciate your experience there mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs