On the search for a PDA for my grandparents

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by derkit, Oct 2, 2007.

1. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

... my grandparents are one of those retired persons that are really into their technology - and are looking for a PDA.

Nothing too fancy, but as I have little experience with them I wanted to get everyone elses thoughts:

Main requirements: word and excel. Some little games like solitaire and that chinese game. Some diary planner involved, lists phone numbers. Don't want (but can live with it if turned off) bluetooth/wi-fi. Something under £200.

Any thoughts people?

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

have to ask
    would a smart phone not make a better choice?
    saves them having two devices, can be picked up free on some contracts anyway and has the added benefit of actually having things like phone books and address lists be usable

the O2 XDA range are pretty good (mostly branded HTC stuff)

if that's not what your looking for, Dell and Asus do nice affordable PDAs last time I checked (have to be honest I haven't looked at dedicated PDAs for ages)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally I like the Dell Axim (currently £220 inc Vat & del), however judging by your requirements any PDA that has Windows Mobile (5 or the newer one 6) will suit them.

But that's just my opinion :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd thought I'd chip in as I'm rapidly heading towards 'grandparent' age! :biggrin

My biggest problem with most PDAs and modern mobile phones is that I can't read the displays without getting out my reading glasses. This is particularly annoying with my phone, which I can answer without having to peer at it closely, but I cant read texts and such like.

The result is that trying to use these items 'on the move' is tiresome. I have to stop what I'm doing to work them.

Have your Grandparents actualy owned a PDA before? If not they may not have realized that things aren't so easy for those of us whose focusing accomodation has failed.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

LOL - cheers for that Harry :D

This is something that I have thought about also - failing eye sight.... there's is pretty good mind you, but they do need to wear glasses for reading. I suppose what I'm looking for is a couple of items to suggest to them and then they can decide - as for size, I'm going to suggest they get down to PC world or some other store to get a hands-on feel for them - make sure the size isn't too bad.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions - TBH, Windows is going to be where they go - unless Palm have access to excel/word and if its compatiable with the Office suite (2003 I think they're on).

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293