Older Guy

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dfryerd, Jul 13, 2007.

1. dfryerd

dfryerd New Member

Hello to all of you,
    I am just after some advice please,I am 51 years old and i have got approx 15 years experience in computers: building, networking ,xp ,vista etc.
    But i have no current qualifications to say that i can do any of the above.
    So i have decided to teach myself comptia a+, and then go onto MCDST and take the exams.
    Has any body any thoughts on my age, and do you think this would put potential employers off, I hope to get the exams done within the next 6 months, as i have 4 days a week to study

Many Thanks Dave

Certifications: Comptia a+ MCDST 70-270
    WIP: n+ 70-290
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums Dave.

You have a lot of experience which is what counts most. If you add the certifications to that, you'll even be more qualified.

I dont think your age will have something to do with it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF :) I agree with what's been said, don't worry about it (age). Good luck with your studies.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I was older than you when I got my current job, and nobody said anything about age then!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I know people older than you when they started in IT and are doing quite well now. Personally, I don't care how old someone is as long as they can do the job! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To be honest all that has been said has been spot on. Age has nothing to do with it and here now in the UK it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of age. Just make sure you don't put your date of birth on your CV though just in case.

Best wishes and get cracking with your certs and you'd be fine. keep us posted on how your getting on. Cheerio:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Dave. Welcome to CertForums. I turn 53 in ten days and am currently employed as a technical writer so age doesn't seem to be a significant factor. I deffo have less work experience than you do, having determined to enter the technology field about 5 or 6 years ago.

It sounds like your IT experience is current (you mention experience with Vista) so why the concerns with quals? Not to say that being certified is bad and all, but there's a lot of certified people out there who have only a fraction of the experience you have.

There's nothing wrong with your certification plan but I'm wondering why you don't think your experience is sufficient?

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Peggsta

Peggsta Bit Poster

Hi,

I think your background experience will help you a lot with your certification studys.
    I've found my own gained knowledge of computers over the last 8 years has helped me, but also realised how much I didn't know.

I'm sure your knowledge and skills will be more than anything to do with age.

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. dfryerd

dfryerd New Member

Thank you all very much for your honest views, they have made me more determined to crack on and get the exams done.
    My eldest son is a network and computer engineer,and he keeps saying get off your ass dad and just do it,good advice.
    So thank you all,and I will keep you informed on how I am doing

Many Thanks

Certifications: Comptia a+ MCDST 70-270
    WIP: n+ 70-290
  11. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome Dave!:) All the best with your certification studies.
    Fifteen years is alot of computer experience for sure.:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+