old pc,hope this on the right forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 12, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have seen that some of you say getting a couple of old pcs will help you when going for the a+ IS THIS ABSOLUTLEY NECCESARY?

I know what they look like inside etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Jammo

Jammo Bit Poster

It's not absolutely nessesary mate. So long as you study up you should be fine with the A+. But it is a good idea to have computers that you can mess about with (technical term ofc) without running the risk of damaging your main PC. The one thing that pops into my head at the moment is staic which can be a killer to certain components, thinking RAM and CPU here really.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you really can't find a better way of learning how to do things than actually doing them. It's a different thing I know but I'm just about to take my MS 70-271 exam and it's handy to have a PC or two for changing settings that you may not want to experiment with on your main machine so that's something to consider if you're planning on going on to do more certs.

hope this helps
    Jammo

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cheers Jammo

I will see if I can get the IT manager to give me a couple old comps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing is ABSOLUTELY necessary. In fact, if you already know the material, you don't need books, PCs, anything... just go in and take the exam.

That said, if you don't already know how to do the things found on the exam, it'd be in your best interest to get some hands-on practice doing them. After all, you're not just studying to pass an exam... you're studying to be a better tech in the "real world". Consider it a investment (both in time and money) in your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's not a matter of knowing what they look like on the inside. If I was going to take my car to a mechanic, I would hope that he (or she) knew not only what a car engine looked like but had thousands of hours of hands-on experience working on them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+