OK so if I Pass the ...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jaron78, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one,

Cant take the A+ 702 till December (due to Finance issues) and now have a date for the 10th Dec.
    Providing I pass, Im looking at going straight onto the MCP/MCDST.

So that would give me Dec/Jan/Feb to do two exams. Does that seem reasonable?

Cheers,

Ron

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends entirely on you, but yes, it is reasonable.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont see why not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Seems a little too short to be honest but if you put in the time and you know your stuff then it's possible.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Hi Ron,

I think it's certainly 'do-able' however I wouldn't base it on if's and but's. Pass your A+ exam and see where it leaves you, some people can shoot through the revision and take it all in first time but your mock exams will tell you how you are doing.

It really depends on you, how you approach studying, what materials you use and how much actual 'study' time you can realistically fit in.

Personally what you're planning would be too much, I failed the 271 exam twice and passed on the 3rd attempt, I've got my 272 exam in January but still hitting around 70% in the mocks, so still not quite there. But again you are not me, I'm not good with exams but I have experience on the job and find half the stuff I never use from the exam, hence I got things wrong.

I think if you're persistant enough you will get there, I certainly think it's worth a shot, at the end of the day it all depends on how you approach it.

Good luck bud.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  6. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Cheers Fellas.

Had actually planned on starting it 1st December after "Hopefully" passing the A+ on the 30th Nov. However, thats hit the praverbial fan as I cant get an exam date for the A+ till December 10th :(

So if I pass the 271, so I get a certificate for that? If so and I dont take the 272 in time, can I just move onto something else?

Ideally a Job would be handy in all honesty :biggrin

7. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

I completed the MCDST in about 2 months but should have been in less but no thanks to the test centre rescheduling an exam.

13 Sept decided to do MCDST
    22 Sept completed 70-271
    27 Oct exam date changed due to test centre
    10 Nov completed 70-272

It can be done but it depends on your experience and how much time you have to revise.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  8. willolpl

willolpl Bit Poster

Go for it!!.

Certifications: CompTia A+, MCP, MCDST