Oh ! many apologizes for this (phptriad and phpnuke)

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by kobem, Sep 22, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

kobem, why the sudden interest in PHP and PHP-Nuke? Not long ago, you were all into networking and Cisco devices and now you are on a completely different techology.

To quote from the official PHP site: "PHP is a server-side HTML embedded scripting language. It provides web developers with a full suite of tools for building dynamic websites". So you've gone from networking to wanting to learn a server-side scripting language for use with dynamic websites. Not a bad goal in and of itself but you might want to read up on it a bit first. I found a great PHP tutorial here:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

Frankly, I hate PHP-Nuke. It's hard to manage, easy to hack and just doesn't provide the kind of responsiveness I like in an interactive site. A friend of mine runs his site including his forums with PHP-Nuke and it's a pain in the butt.

As far as PHP goes, you can start by taking a look at the official site:

http://www.php.net/

Also, since you know nothing about this technology and want to learn from scratch, may I recommend Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition. It's fairly recent, got good reviews and starts out at the newbie level.

kobem, there are no short cuts to learning and you can't learn multiple technologies in the wink of an eye. Pick one and only one area of interest at a time and concentrate on it. Unlimber your purse strings and buy at least one good book on the subject you want to study and then actually study it.

My personal favorite for a web development platform is XAMPP. It's free, it's easy to download, easy to set up and easy to use. You can learn Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl. Go to the official site and read up on it. You can use it on Linux systems (tested for Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake and Debian) and Windows 98, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Vista. Here's the link:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

Frankly, I think you make learning a lot harder than it should be...on you and on us.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry but i didn't get the answer , can you explain clearly?

Certifications: CCNA
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Now I'm completely lost!!! so I'm going to bow out while my brain still (just about) works. :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Please read what I just posted a few minutes ago, kobem.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok, let me see if i can put this plainly...

1. PHP is a scripting language that plugs into a server's internet service (such as Apache or IIS). When a file from the service ends with .php, the service passes it to the php service, which runs the commands, etc, within the file (such as database calls, conditional code, etc) and returns an HTML document to the Internet service. This is then passed from the server to your browser and is shown on the screen. PHP is much like ASP in that you build the page using HTML, and break out into the scripting language when you need to.

2. PHPTriad is an integrated installer that installs the PHP service (as described above), MySQL, and Apache in a single installation. That, as far as im aware, is ALL it does. nothing more, nothing less.

3. PHPNuke is a Content Management System, which allows live posting of news items, etc and, I believe, can also be used to create forums (similar to certforums itself). Its a TEMPLATE application from what I can see. It allows you to easily build a Forum/News site without having to worry about all the complicated coding that takes place. PHPNuke requires PHP as a prerequisite. You cannot run a PHPNuke built site without having the PHP service running on your machine.

Forget about the 'html' folders, or the 'image' folders that these create or dont create. They are totally irrelevant. When you build a site in PHP, you can structure it in any way you want. You can have an Image folder to store all your images if you like, or you can just lump all the files into a single folder and be done with it. All that matters is that when you are coding the site, you reference the files properly, taking into account where they are stored.

Am I wrong with any of this guys?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

thanks my friend ! just another question i have to know is that for phpnuke , why do we
    copy "html" folder from "phpnuke installed" location into apache/ htdocs folder?

7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

because the instructions tell you too???
    Do you really need to get that involved with something you know little about??

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I cant beleive that it comes without documentation!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Give it up kobem ! :biggrin Or take the advice and pick one subject and truly commit to it including investing some cash in training materials.

Web applcations have a doc base, its the root directory where all the web content is stored for the web application. Theres various ways to set it up as has been explained, the default doc base is htdocs in this case, you can configure it to be whatever you like, they are just giving you the simplist instructions they can to get you up and running. If you are struggling this much with their basic instructions and with the general lack of comprehension you seem to have I would really reccomend giving up !

Maybe you should go back and start with web basics and study something like the CIW ? Or possibly consider a few courses at a college.

Whos the chick in the picture, or is it a chick with a d... ?

10. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I agree, it's irresponsible of developers to release Kobem 0.1.0 into the public domain without adequate documentation.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  11. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hmm , i tried to cut and paste the html folder in apache /htdocs to the desktop (the folder i mentioned
    was copied from phpnuke directory before)

but my php files worked ! (i thought because of php included in phptriad not phpnuke)

i think copying html to htdocs is ONLY ABOUT TO RUN PHPNUKE!

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Is it too late for the popcorn? :popcorn

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!