oh man im burnt out

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Dec 10, 2012.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

I started at this place and being here a month and i put 50 hours each week.

I AM so Busy but within this month i feel like i learned **** loads i feel thé learning curve i went through in thé last month is équilent to 6 months at my last place so im happy with thé up skilling.But i give up my weekends and i dont get over time and i make £27.6k a year.

What you guys think i should do? Should i stay or go?

Anyone in thé same position as me? Working more than your hours and no over time or anything

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When you change to a new role you always have to put in the extra time and effort to get both up to speed with things and set things the way that you want them to be. It is not uncommon to find yourself working lots of overtime (unpaid) for the first six months in my experience.

Keep your head up for there will be light at the end of the tunnel. 6 months down the line you'll realise it was all worth the extra effort.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

50 hours a week is pretty normal for the first 3 months in a new job I think, after that you need to re-evaluate, if you're still having to put 50+ hours in then :-

1. Maybe you are still not up to speed and need to put more effort in.
    2. The employer is taking advantage somewhat and you should maybe address matters.

Only you can figure out which it is, 6 months in and having to regularly put 50+ hours in then they are taking advantage and you should ask to be paid overtime, time in lieu or a bonus.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Also make sure you aren't a "busy fool" ... work smartly.

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

There comes a point where you have to say enough is enough, if you feel that you're going above and beyond what's expected then take a step back and re-evaluate why you're doing this. If it's the company is piling the work on you then it could be to see if \ when you say that's it (they want to see what you're capable of), finally if it's just that you're not up to scratch with the technology then you need to think that if you don't do the work to get up to scratch that you're company 'could' decide at the end of your probation that you're not good enough and let you go.

Only you know which of these are the case. If you are good enough for the role and the company are taking the piss then stand firm and do what's required but know that it could come back and kick you in the arse later on.

As a side note, 50 hour weeks aren't unusual, especially if you're more project related, get used to the unsociable hours, working weekends and shift work because they can all happen during your IT career.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I dream of only working 50 hours a week :-(

IMO, until you feel you are up to speed with both new technologies and and procedures then you cannot judge whether your employers are taking advantage of you or not.
    It would also look pretty poor on your CV if you didn't stay there too long, I imagine there would be some awkward questions at any subsequent job interview. You could try lying about why you left, you could try leaving the job off your CV altogether (which moves the awkward question about leaving your last employment to your last job, which may come undone when they ask for a reference) but the answer "I was finding it hard to keep up with the learning curve and didn't want to put in the hours to do it" isn't going to put you on anyone's shortlist for a job.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

only being there for a month and 50 hrs isn't all that bad, even if they are not paying you for the extra, in my opinion you shouldn't really be having a moan about the new job this early on when your earning a decent wage

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Stick at it as long as you can. If you are getting good experience it will be worth it in the long run.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    jk2447 likes this.
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I agree with what the others have said and ultimately no one said working in IT is all a bed of roses or it's going to be easy. Stick with it and it would benefit you in the end but make sure you use your time effectively and work smart.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell