Office stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Dec 20, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Because i do a fair bit of work using documents , i always like to have the latest and best version of office on my pc and laptop, but ive stumbled upon open office which is free and you can do what you would normally do with office etc. I have one question regarding the file extensions of open office, and i dont mean to sound thick here , but do the file extensions match, or are they different.

Office 2003 the extension is .doc and office 2007 is docx. could i use open office in conjunction with M office or are they both still different??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Yes OO can open both doc and docx, docx files are essentailly just xml files wrapped up in a "docx conatiner" btw - just out of interest, OO if a very good piece of sowfatre considereing it's free.

Certifications: A+
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Your best bet is to change the default file format that OO saves in (In tools, options somewhere - can't remember where) to .doc. That way, you can open the docs in MS Office. By default, OO uses the .odt file extension.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It is free, but its not the same, its not as well presented and as an end user experiance I just dont like it.

Some of the partners here were talking about it, we let them play with it for a few weeks. They decided to stump up for 2007.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Same happened with us, we had an outside consultant recommend Oo. The testing phase lasted the grand total of about 6 hours I think before my manager decided that just paying out for the upgrade would be a hell of a lot simpler!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10