Offered contact job, BUT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by cajensen, Nov 30, 2010.

1. cajensen

cajensen Bit Poster

I just got an offer on a 4 month contract job. After being out of work for a long time it is welcome. The pay is not that good but I considered it to be a good way to get introduced to the employer and maybe get a permanent position.
    However it is through a recruiter and they have a clause in their contract with me that will prevent me from aplying for a job or work for that company for 360 days after the initial contract. If I do I will have to pay them 400 times the hourly pay I get under the contract.

Is this normal. I am in the US. I am thinking about marking the clause over before I send it back. Have anyone tried doing that and what did the recruiter do.

Carsten

Certifications: CCNA, A+, MCTS 70-642, Security +
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I know there tends to be clauses written into most contracts in the UK that if you are working for a company through an agency and they offer you a fulltime job then they expect a finders fee of sorts but this is paid by the company to the agency.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Normal stuff, they often write nasty stuff into the contracts, thats the more tame stuff...

They expect a contract to perm fee if you go perm, its all about the double whammy, money for old rope recruitment...

4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

To be honest the company using agencies to hire staff will know this anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yikes. That's never happened to me the couple of times I've used a recruiter, and I'm in the US. What I've usually seen happen is that the recruiter charges the company a fee if they decide to hire you permanent.

If you sign that agreement, you will be feasibly unable to apply with that company after the 4-month contract is up. So what would happen then? To stay employed, you'd have to sign ANOTHER contract with that recruiter (either for the same company or a different one)... with ANOTHER 360 day clause. See the perpetual trap? What would be your exit strategy?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. cajensen

cajensen Bit Poster

I am desperate for a job so I will take it. Part of the clause is that they can agree to the perm and I guess that is where the employer pays a fee. Even without the prospect of a perm position the project is to roll out 4G over the providers Carrier Ethernet so I will leave with some good experience to add to my resume.
    I am planning on spending the time sucking up all the knowledge I can and hopefully be able to land a job with one of the other Service providers in the area.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, MCTS 70-642, Security +
  7. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

what often happens is if the company you are contracting at wants you to go permie then they will have to pay the recruitment company another fee. Recruitment company might say it is 10k or whatever. Company says we'll give you 5k and keep you using you for recruitment of other people or give you nothing and use a different company for our ongoing recruitment....I know which one I would choose.

In the end it doesnt end up costing you anything. It just means that you cant go behind your recruitment companies back and start contracting directly or go permie. Stops you from cutting out the middleman so to speak.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's