Off for MSc in September

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Jul 22, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Hmm well i don't know, im thinking doing a certificate in mathematics at the OU and getting some experience then applying next year to somewhere like york. Or i will not go to uni in the next few years and just get a job.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

So you'd be perfectly happy to accept a course from the Open University but not Aston?

I smell hypocrisy.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

You should tell your next employer that you got accepted to aston but didn't take it because it looked like a council estate. I'm sure they'll accept you on the merit of that alone

BTW I give credit for things people have done. Not could have or claim they will. I reckon most people feel this way

probably best to end the discussion there

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. ericrollo

Now i will explain this i did not go around telling anyone i got into Aston to boast because its not even that good, the interviewer asked what unis i was accepted at. The point was made to show that if some one did go to a good uni that it would be very beneficial.

And i actually think the open uni is quite good

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ok, we seem to have wandered a bit off topic here but thanks for sticking up for me guys.

@ ericrollo

You're quite young and have expressed a real elitist view of Uni's. In case you hadn't been watching the news recently, this is exactly the sort of thing that they're trying to stamp out.

I did my first degree at a HE institute which became a poly by the time my certificate was issued and is now a well regarded Uni (Bournemouth). No, not in the same league as Oxbridge I grant you but the course I did (as a mature student at 24) was the first in the country and backed by several City financial institutions.

Once you've been out to work a few years, got some professional certs and experience under your belt and are a bit "older and wiser" you'll maybe have a different view of the world. Until then, I suggest you think a bit more before you comment.

I let it go because you don't know me or my circumstances unlike some here, but your comment was pretty offensive to be honest !

'nuff said and topic closed.

Thanks to those who were prepared to "celebrate" with me.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Think you deserve a good beverage tonight mate :slidedrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Beer please, two days till pay-day... :(

Secondary congratulations!!! :D

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Congrats! Enjoy your studies!

oh and elitism sucks, kay?

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You should heed these words, Eric. I know that what he says is true, because I used to have the same mindset you currently have. Now I understand things quite differently.

I could have gone to just about any school. I chose to go to Vanderbilt University (nicknamed "The Harvard of the South"), but left after a year due to a lack of funds. Ten years later, I got my BSc degree from Middle Tennessee State University, which has nowhere near the "prestige" of Vanderbilt. And ya know what? To my surprise, the education I received at MTSU was far better than the education I got at Vanderbilt, and at a fraction of the cost. And I've not yet found an employer who saw my degree as any "lesser" because it didn't come from a private school.

Certainly there IS currently a difference in perception between a degree from a traditional school and a degree from a for-profit training center. But for 99% of the IT jobs out there, you're not going to experience any major benefit by attending an "elite" university. As UKD correctly stated, you'll understand once you've worked in IT for a while.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I got my COMPUTER SCIENCE Bsc from ASTON UNIVERSITY. :D

That must make me godly in a certain young man's eyes!.

I still had to start at the bottom in IT. Thats just how it works in any industry. But having my degree does put me in a better postion compared to other people without a degree and the same level of experience!

FatP

p.s. good on u darkstar!

11. ericrollo

Lol if you read my posts you would understand i declined Aston because i thought it was crap.

12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha I know I shouldn't but I actually burst out laughing when I read this :lol: :oops:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then if it's "crap", then why do you mention it to employers if not to impress them? After all, you stated:

If I were interviewing you, I'd be questioning why in the world you'd even mention that you were accepted into a university in the first place, considering you never went there. If you believe that tidbit of info earns you respect from a potential employer, you are mistaken. What you perceive as an interviewer being "visibly impressed" is likely something completely different to the interviewer.

Not trying to poke fun at you, mate... just trying to let you know that your perception of the IT business world is different than you think it is... and what I'm saying could help you prevent making a job-losing statement during an interview. If you doubt that, consider: the people who are telling you this could likely be sitting across the table from you in an interview.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Shall we get back to congratulating UKDarkstar, instead of using this thread to discuss the merits of one university over another.

Congrats :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Thanks m8 :thumbleft

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What? You got accepted to a uni? Stop everything, give that guy a job!!! No need to interview the other guys with ten years experience. :biggrin

Nobody would be impressed by that mate, fact. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats UKD. Btw, how are the exam studies going?

19. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Mate nothing personal here but you are young and naive. Go get some life experience

Yes Aston for computer science may not be highly ranked BUT:

(1) Its is considered a top 20 university with a good reputation :D
    (2) Just because you got accepeted on to the course, doesnt mean you would have completed it
    (Only 50 out of 150 poeple who started the course with me, actually graduated).
    :oops:

After reading some of your threads: Do you actaully want a career in IT?

20. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

UKD: Congratulations on your achievement. Hope you enjoy the course.

Best Wishes

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing