OEM or RETAIL?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Dec 3, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Which do you prefer and why???
    Processor wise......

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

swings in roundabouts for me, my view point is using amd's not intels as i havent in 5 years - excluding my laptop

i dont know if this is the case with intels, maybe some one can tell me.

when i looked into it i spoke to amd and they said the oem isn't covered in their warrenty if you use a non amd heatsink and fan. on one hand i think stuff it, it'll be fine and now i get to choose my cooler.
    retail well it saves the hastle of not looking for a cooler and i get a pretty box. and its covered under warrenty.

3 of my boxes, use oem and my new pc uses the retail.

to me, i dont mind either as long as i get a good price - STOP LAUAGHING, im from scotland im meant to be tight :offtopic

Certifications: HNC Computer Networking, Network+
    WIP: A+, 70-290, 70-270,CCNA
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

when it comes to processors its always Retail for me. You get the standard heatsink and fan and even I always buy a new heatsink and fan I still prefer it to come in a box. I remember the very first AMD chip I bought. It was the AMD K6-2 400MHz and that was an OEM as it arrived in a brown box and that was it. But it will always be retail for CPUs...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

The only processor i have ever bought has been AMD and has been OEM because it's cheaper. I've always bought from ebuyer and if I've ever had a problem with the chip ebuyer have always replaced the OEM chip. So really can't see a difference.

I'm considering buying Intel in the future and would have to be retail for me... i don't think they do OEM chips? otherwise i probably would go for OEM.

Chris

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I don't see the point in buying retail versions because I know I'm always going to buy a decent cooling rig for it. Intel's retail fans sound like bloody wind turbines, especially with the P4 and all the heat they produce.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

OEM's almost exclusively, if only for the fact that I get to tailor the amount of cooling I need. Also, it doesn't allow them to stick that PITA thermal pad on it, so I can use my Arctic Silver (or other better-priced alternative). Although the retail coolers are noisy (sometimes), they're a huge upgrade from what I&A *used* to slap on them.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For CPUs, definitely retail. The difference in cost is negligible compared to the difference in the length of the warranty.

And yes, I do go with a third-party cooling solution. But it's nice to have a backup HSF in case the good one fails. Or, you can sell the retail HSF.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

flEbay whore! :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE