OCD study justified?

Discussion in 'A+' started by k-hotch, Mar 11, 2015.

1. k-hotch

k-hotch New Member

Okay, so I'm not sure whether or not I should be studying as thorough as I am studying.

Each chapter I am coming up with 100+ terms or facts that I feel I should be memorizing. Like component dimensions, capacities, and computations for bandwidth and data rates.

Should I be drilling it this hard because the test is not that thorough?

or...

Should I be drilling it this hard because that will improve my testing competency in the end?

Also, how competent are the practice exams in the book and online at preparing the future test taker? If I am acing these practice exams...should I feel competent about scheduling and taking the test soon?

All answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- K-Hotch

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not having actually sat the A+ exam I can't tell you for sure but based on experience of other certs I can offer this advice.

There are 1000's of terms that you're not likely to run in to but the main stream information that falls in to the blueprint is fair game on the exam, will you be tested on the ohms of a particular ram module, unlikely, will you be asked to identify a SO-DIMM or DIMM module? more likely.

The best thing I can suggest is to look at the exam objectives and take that information on board, if it's in the objectives it's fair game.

To give you an idea of how hard things can get later on in your exam taking life, exams like the VCAP (VMware Certified Advanced Professional) takes on average of 2 months study, this is by experienced virtualisation sys admins, not guys coming fresh in to the industry, it can lead to 100's of pages of study notes, hours of lab time and hours of stress and heartache during the exam.

It doesn't get easier but it does make it all worthwhile when you pass the exam because you remember that information.

OCD for exams is a good thing, it's amazing the rubbish I remember but it all helps.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    k-hotch and Haroon Mustafa like this.