Objectives

Discussion in 'A+' started by noelg24, Aug 6, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I was up rather late last nite printing out the relevant objectives needed for the A+ Hardware exam...blimey what a chore...and tonite I will be doing the same for the software...but I think I have decided I will take the exams one at a time rather than at the same time cos thats a serious brain drain. So I think instead I will do more reading on Hardware....I think I am on the verge of really losing it now....:eek:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Take it easy. It's do-able. In fact, If *I* can to it, so can you. Remember, it's not an intellectual exercise so much as a test on your *experience*. A person who's never opened up a box before and taken a look around inside will be totally lost. You really learn the A+ stuff by doing it. The book stuff is important, but keep hammering away at doing the stuff with a computer. The A+ exam is designed for people who have had about six months of hardware and basic OS experence in a work or lab environment.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think you've made a wise move taking on just the one exam, it will help relieve some of the pressure of trying to cram everything in for them both and should help you feel a little more confident in doing well.

Take your time, don't add extra pressure to yourself and if you don't feel ready then don't take the exam until your 100% sure, as you know they ain't cheap.

Oh and Good Luck.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Trip made a valid point as long as you know your way around the inside of a PC you should be fine on the hardware aspect of the exam. If not you may struggle. Open your PC up and identify each component. If you can do that without much problem then your pretty much ready for the exam. Do the software exam on the same basis dive into the OS and play around with it identifying the main functions of it and where to find the various parts of the OS then once you know your ready to take the exam...:D

The main point is don't worry about the exam it isn't that hard. I'm not brainbox and I passed them. As long as you prepare and ready through a good book taking notes you should have no problems.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

By the time I got around to taking the A+, I felt confident I'd pass the hardware section but still feared the OS section...especially DOS and memory space. I got a big pad of cheap sketch paper and drew all kinds of relational diagrams and drawings of how DOS memory worked to drill it into my head. Reading about it wasn't enough. I really needed to "see" it. Also, whatever part you can do on a computer, do it. When I write about command line utilities, I have to be on the command line actually trying them out, seeing what the options are, finding out the "gotchas" and making sure the tool works the way I think it does. Doing is *everything*. Then, when you take the test, you'll remember not only what you read but what you did...makes it a great deal easier. Knock 'em dead. :D

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well guys I have to say I am pleased with the response...I do know the main aspects of hardware (you guys forget I have been building PCs since I was 19) so if someone was to show me a motherboard I would no doubt identify most of the components. Same goes for software. but like you said Trip knowing it and doing it are two different things. So I know exactly what to do. Thank you all.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My apologies. With your background, I can't imagine the hardware section giving you much trouble at all. Brush up on your knowledge, take a few mock exams and then schedule the exam. :biggrin