NTFS Permissions

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by obsolete, Dec 31, 2010.

1. obsolete

obsolete Bit Poster

What is the difference between READ and READ & EXECUTE? Some of the books claim that the READ permission allows you to "read data." I do understand that the READ & EXECUTE allows you to run executable files. I do have difficulties interpreting what the books meant by "reads data." I think the READ permission meant files that are not executable like .doc, .txt, and etc. If a .txt file has only the READ permission, once the individual double clicks on the .txt file, he or she can view it in notepad or whatever its default application. I am not sure if I may be correct on this. I think its the way the books word them. I already checked the 70-270 Sybex, Microsoft, and Inside and Out book. Microsoft's site also says "reads data" when explaining the READ permission. I do think that I had trouble interpreting what they mean by "reads data." Thanks for the help.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You pretty much have it there. I think of data as a file that needs an external application to make it useful.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Firstly, Read and Execute applies to both files and folders.

Secondly, you are right that "read and execute" has to do with opening up executables. For other types of files, as soon as a read and execute permission is granted, the read permission is also granted by default. So in other words, read and execute encompasses the read permission.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science