Notice Period

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hippy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Afternoon all,

I need a bit of help of what to do, I have currently been employed for 10 months in my current job and I have a 3 month notice period. I would like to get a full year from this job on my CV (I have worked a year in a prior job already). Should I hand in my notice now and start applying for jobs in 2 months time so I have a full year on the CV when applying? I want to leave as I have lost faith in the management and I am not really being challenged anymore. Its the sort of job where you are what your job title says... on a side note ive not even had my PDR (professional development review), should of been about 6 months ago.

Is the above a good idea or should I maybe hold out longer etc... ?

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats a tricky one, I would wait 2 months then hand it in but be on the look out in the meantime. It all depends if you are really unhappy do it ASAP but if you can manage the two months then wait.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

First question I would ask is have you made it known to managment that you're not happy at the way things are going? They may feel that you are quite content to carry on doing what you're doing... if you point out (gently) the issues as you see them, it could well open their eyes.

Another point I would make is that many of us are not born to be managers... many are dragged kicking and screaming into it, and things such as PDRs and so on often fall by the wayside. This is not good management, and (although I hate management with a passion) I could never condone it. As an aside, do you remind your manager about the review, and do you keep notes on stuff you have been doing, and feel that you have done well? Management, and certainly performance discussions, is not just the responsibility of the manager.

4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I personally would make the full year. You're very close to it now. You never know, you might hand your notice in and they send you on gardening leave, then you can say you''ve only got the 10 months experience there.

It may well be still worth applying now for other positions though, just to get a feel of the marketplace. It took me a good siz months from starting searching to landing a job when I last changed positions

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Too true. This has also happened to me 2 times already and when I reminded my boss about it it seems that it just got lost in the day to day stress.

Just go to your manager and remind/ask him for a review. It would also help to have a list of successes that you've had as well as a plan of what you want in your future development.

After this you can decide if there's a future for you at the company or not.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Also note, it's a lot easier to get a job while you have a job, rather than trying to get one while unemployed. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Very true, however as he has noted he has 'golden handcuffs', he has to give a notice period of 3 months.
    Most employers will not wait this long to fill a position, they work ASAP or 1 month timescales.
    This means he has to hand his notice in 3 months in advance and start looking, increasing the intensity of the search around the 2-1 month point. If the employer puts them on gardening leave then thats a risk you have to take, how else can they leave ? Waiting two months before notice is in effect 5 extra months.

8. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

opps sorry

WIP: C++ and A+
  9. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

The fact your on a three month notice period would suggest your are an important part of the company and they have either invested in you or you have qualities no one else has, armed with that you should do a Giddyg says and have a polite word with your manager 10 months is not a long time and would not look to good on a CV

WIP: C++ and A+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Holy crap... three months?!? :blink

So... what happens if you don't provide adequate notice? Do they take away your birthday? Give you a stern look? Or something more devious, perhaps?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!