Not working 9 to 5

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by derkit, Jun 15, 2008.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Unless your kids are vampires or insomniacs, then it ain't for you, BM :twisted: Stick to your cushy gig:p

I've worked 2 shift jobs in IT -- the first was full nights, and that got old after 4 months, especially when they wanted to fire the other night shift guy and have me 'cover' his shifts. Yeah...right. The second was a crazy rotating 12 hour shift, where the longest stint was 5 nights in a row -- but the hardest part was the transitional shifts. Working a 12 hour day shift (0630-1830), and then working then next night shift (and vice-versa). After a few of those, your body clock is fubar.

The nice thing about that particular shift rotation was that every 6 weeks, we got 7 days-in-a-row off.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why wouldn't they be?

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hmm... I work 9 - 5.30 now, hour for lunch if I get time for it.

I've worked a variety of shift patterns in a variety of jobs. When I used to do labouring and forklift driving, it was one week earlies/one week lates and round and round... earlies were 5.30am til 1pm (GREAT in summer) lates were 1pm til 11pm (awful all the time). Sometimes the late shift were down on staff, and I ended up pulling the full shift. Then I went on to 6am til 4pm in the same job, no shift pattern, but sometimes again I'd end up working until around 8pm to cover the late shift a bit.

When I worked in a retail store, I worked 2pm til 10pm, which wasn't a rota shift, so I got no 'extras'. I have to say hands down the best was working night shift, 9pm til 6am. No managers, working off your own back. This was in retail too.

Often in this job I'll start work at 5.30am or 6am. You get more done at that time of the day. But if I got offered the opportunity to do a night shift in this job (eg, if we merged with an American company) then I'd snap their hands off for it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you mad, woman? :blink

Ending work at 5:30am, I can see... but intentionally getting up at that time of day? You need help, girl...

:p

...I'm barely of any use to anyone before 1pm... :sleeping

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I couldn't resist and tried it. I got this reply:

"Could not find file LIFE. You do not have one of those."

:dry

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

7-7
    1 week days - 1 week nights