Not there yet

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by damienj3, May 28, 2006.

1. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Hi All. I haven't written for a while and I had a bit of spare time on my hands (for a change). Well, Yesterday I turned 28 and it got me thinking that I really need to get my head down and finish this course. I'm studying towards mcse security with NITLC but have had a few minor set backs, for example. I have a 1yr old daughter, a full time job and there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done. The problem is that my support with NITLC ends in November and I haven't completed 1 exam yet due to other commitments that I didn't have when I first signed up. I'm not too worried about this as I can always carry on without the support (I have you guys here if I need help and I haven't had to use the tutors at NITLC). The thing that worries me is that time is getting on and I am nearly 30. Is this going to be a problem when getting a job in the IT field? I know that I have to get moving but with less than 5 hours a week study time I feel like I am going to be in my 40's before I get in to my dream job. I'm not looking for sympathy what I'm looking for is a swift kick up the Jacksy and some motivational advise. Thanking you for taking the time to read my rant and all help will be greatfully received.

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Damien,

I know exactly what you are saying, because i have been there myself. Keep focused on what you want, set aside some time per day for study and look out for volunteer jobs to gain valuble experience.
    Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It is unfortunate that to have a successfull career in IT you have to make personal sacrifices. Boyce's right, try and set yourself a couple of hours per day where you can sit down and get some work done, perhaps in the evenings when your daughter is in bed and the Mrs is watching the soaps. It'll be hard because you simply might not feel like doing it, or that you are neglecting your duties as a husband and father, but in the longterm, to give yourself, and your family a happier life (note, not necessarilly finincially better, but 'self satisfaction'), it will be worth it.

8)

4. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Thanks for thay you guys. At least I don't feel as thought its only a small minority who feel this way. But at the end of the day I will be off minimum wage and out of a dead end job and doing something that not only pays better but I enjoy doing.

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm at the same place as well, about to made redundant and I'll be starting CCNA in november with the Open University and I'm 32.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

In the same boat here. Working 10-6, coming home and once I've done all the things I need to do I have to admit I've let my studies slide a bit recently. But self improvement often leads to a bit of sacrifice so I'm currently splitting my study time between before and after work. The having experience side of getting into IT is always a bugbear so I may have to find an IT job that will let me work 9-5 and go part time in my current job to keep the funds coming in if I get offered a position that pays a bit less, but it will be worth it in the long term.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA