Not sure what route to take

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by matt19849, Apr 29, 2011.

1. matt19849

matt19849 New Member

Hi everyone - i'm a bit stuck on what courses to look at taking etc and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Heres my situation:

I've been working in IT for 8 years now and haven't managed to gain one qualification/certification which I dont think is very good.
    All the companies I have worked for in the past have promised me they will put me on different courses but when it comes down to it they are always "too busy"
    Because of this i've been trying on and off to do some home studying and then pay for an exam but I have never managed it yet.
    I generally start something then get distracted and never go back to it which is very frustrating.

At the moment my role is a Senior Network Engineer which to be fair isn't very hard, I maintain IT equipment (servers, desktops and networks) at various sites but nothing ever goes wrong apart from the odd printer here a new pc there, so in short i'm not learning anything new.

I have started studying plenty of different subjects (Windows 7 configuration, Security+, Sharepoint etc) but with the same outcome - I get distracted.

The one subject I was studying that I enjoyed was Security+ but then I got half way through and wondered onto something else.

Could someone maybe suggest a course that I could try and have more luck with to start me off or suggest a way that I can really crack down and get studying without wondering of to different things?

Cheers in advance

2. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

I only have a CCNA but have worked in IT for 10 years and read lots in the process (but no certs to show this). I wandered with Linux certs, I used to play with Linux all the time and know lots about it (although it has evolved even more) but theres more on the Certs which is good. Also going through a set out Syllabus is a good thing as you may have never been forced to learn about some areas in the past or found another (maybe not so good) way of doing things.. but point being Certs are a def worth doing.

I read half the Linux cert book and got distracted but I will nail that one sometime. I started doing a 2008 server administrator cert and have kept to it (although taken a while to do one exam!). What I do is allocate 2 hours a night, not weekends usually, and after reading my 2 hours (occasionally more) I can go and watch the TV etc. This keeps me motivated.
    Im also in the situation of leaving the job in a few months so more motivation from that. Find out what works for you.

Not sure what courses.. depends what your trying to achieve (recognition for a new job? New learning etc..) Im sure others can help you.

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Well thinking logically from what you've said, if you enjoyed what you did for Sec+ then why not carry on/start again and get that one finished?

4. matt19849

matt19849 New Member

Sorry its been a while since I've checked this thread - been really busy for the last few months.

Thanks for the replies though, i'm just looking to progress in a certain area and at the moment security is the one area that is interesting me.

I've been reading a few threads on the CEH cert and I'm seeing mixed reviews, some other sites I've read are saying this company (EC-Council) aren't very good and its not worth even looking at them but those threads were dated 2006.

I was gone to give Security+ another shot but if not what would you think on looking into the CEH cert instead to get me on the right route?

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like you need a course in 'sticking to it'. :biggrin
    It sounds like you've got the experience, intelligence and opportunity to study just about anything - but if you keep getting distracted and wondering into other things, you're never going to get anywhere no matter what anyone suggests.

Self-study isn't as easy as people make out - at least, not for everyone.
    You need to commit yourself to something and set yourself some deadlines. It's the only way to do it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD