Not IT related - Sheffield Wednesday fans sued over messageboard postings

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Sep 20, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Now this is way outside the usual type of post for me - in fact, it's probably one of the first 'off topic' posts I've made in months, but this just stinks and any football fan should know about it.

Basically, there is a large group of Sheffield Wednesday supporters who have, for a long time, been fighting tooth and nail with the Sheffield Wednesday board. As in every story of this nature there are obviously two sides to tell, but this petition speaks for itself.

Over what seems little more than a matter of bullying them into submission, it seems that the Sheffield Wednesday board have decided to sue around 30 fans responsible for making posts on a messageboard. This could have absolutely immense ramifications for anyone posting on football related forums in this country, as, if they are allowed to get away with it, no-one will be able to make any posts remotely critical of their club for fear of being sued.

I won't harp on about it too much, but think that anyone interested should have a look at the petition and decide for themselves whether they want to sign it.

Personally, I think its a disgrace.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

lol please! The courts just gona throw the case out the window, its fuking silly!

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Not as silly as you might imagine.

I haven't heard of people being sued over what they have posted on boards; but I have seen cases where the sites have been forced to shut down.

That could be just as damaging - and is why sites like this one are very careful not to harbour slanging matches against specific organisations.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

but thats a piss take tbh

5. Arroryn

It's the way of the world. Always has been.

Big guys stomp on the little guys. Invariably the big guys get away with it - from brutal dictators to bosses who don't like you taking a cigarette break.

Every once in a while though, the little guy wins. And when that happens, they're heroes.

I'm not saying I agree with what they are doing - only that it's not a new thing.

6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

what happened to freedom of speech ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. Arroryn

Their freedom of speech won't be compromised if they win. It has been questioned, but it hasn't been completely supressed.

I've signed the petition.

As long as defamation laws exist, and there are law firms willing to take the case on, this kind of thing just unfortunately happens.

Hopefully, like Fluid said, any reasonable judge will just kick the case out.