norton firewall any good?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Frontier, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Does any one here use it? and it is easy to configure? I installed it yesterday and it has no detected any access attempts or anything. and I was wondering if it is doing its job, or if there is anything I need to do to configure it properley. cheers

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If it hasn't detected *anything* then either it isn't set to report things, or it isn't working, or you aren't connected to the internet!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I tried this when it first came out and I didn't like it. It's changed a bunch since then and I haven't seen any of the later incarnations of it so I can't say too much about it now, but then it was hard to configure, didn't stealth all ports, and was unstable.

I'd have to say that from reading on the different security forums on the internet the current Norton firewall doesn't rate too highly with a lot of people. However, if it isn't logging anything then it's most like misconfigured somehow, or you aren't connected to the internet.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I dont use it, as I understand it is is relatively expensive (any more than £0.00 is too expensive for a decent firewall - try Sygate or ZoneAlarm, but thats a separate issue), and bloated.. My gripe with it is in from dealing with users who have it - it can block apps from working correctly (eg Outlook, or OE) with no warnings of attempts to access, and can only be troubleshot by using eg telnet to force a response from it.

Also, there have been issues in the past where live updates have caused similar problems that were not evident prior to the upgrade, and if the user doesn't actually realise it has updated, then they see no change at their end, so swear it is our systems that are at fault.

Just my opinion, but I have heard many who share it.

EDIT: And just try and uninstall it without problems .........

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sygate is a good free software firewall.
    If you have a router it might have good in/out configuration, this saves rources on your computer too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I once used Norton a few years back...and altho it didnt cause any problems to my machine I still dont use it now...even when I have built PCs for people I now install Zone Alarm and like Jak prefer to pay £0.00 for the software....I know of some horror stories with Norton from other users and lets just say I could write a book them...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think Symantec have recently bought Sygate so maybe the free version will disappear soon. As to firewalls, I use Agnitum Outpost Pro. I tried all the others (free and pro) and stayed away from the Norton one and I found Outpost suited me best. This is probably what you should also do.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I use Norton Internet Security and cant say i have any complaints.
    It does its job as a software firewall an antivirus.

When you mean its not 'detected' any attempts, do you mean logged or do you mean when it prompts you with a warning saying access has been denied etc.

Both of these can be configured on or off in options.

Neall

WIP: A+