Norton antivirus gone horribly wrong

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Prestd, May 12, 2004.

1. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

hi all,

upon booting up my nearly brand new laptop i recieve message stating that "norton anti virus has encountered an error - please uninstall and reinstall the software"

Fair enough i thought, albeit a little strange.

so i navigated into add/remove programs only to find that there is no entry for norton anti virus, only internet security...which i promptly tried to uninstall. About a third of the way through it fell over and said "uninstallation failed - abort?, retry?, fail?" or something to that effect.

Also there is no chance of just reinstalling over the top as the installer checks for installed software and then tries to uninstall again, which fails.

anybody heard of this before? or any suggestions?

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I had this problem only a few weeks ago with a laptop running XP and NAV 2004 professional. I had to manually uninstall using the instructions from symantec's website.

I cant remember the exact page as there are different uninstall procedures for the different versions of NAV installed on different OS's.

I have the link in my favourites at home but thats for NAV 2004 pro, if your using a different version try searching symantec's website.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Prestd

Prestd Bit Poster

ok thanks SimonV, i'll give that a go

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I had this problem just a few days ago on my big lab machine. I opened up Norton SystemWorks (AntiVirus is part of the suite of utilities) and the entry for AntiVirus was completely missing. I smelled a rat and rebooted the machine. Lo and behold, Norton AntiVirus reappeared.

Shortly thereafter, I got a bunch of error messages when I woke the machine up saying that a number of (apparently) non-critical files were either corrupt or missing. I set up a chkdsk and rebooted. Got a message that the volume was "dirty" (no kidding). It took hours for chkdsk to run and I had to leave the house before it was finished. When I got home it was up and running. I checked the Event Viewer (XP Pro, BTW) and it indicated that chkdsk ran successfully.

It's running ok now but I still think there may be something under the covers. I'm not sure what yet. Seems odd that Norton would experience this kind of error in such a short span of time. I've manually updated the virus defs since then and it responded like a champ. Haven't run a full system scan again yet but that will be the next test. Let me know how you all get on.

Certifications: A+ and Network+