Noisy CPU fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rosie1, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Yes, it does appear to be a loud humm which varies intermittently in pitch. I thought it might have been a faulty power supply, but using the mag the noise definitely comes from the graphics card area. There is a fan attached. Card is Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP 8X. Certainly wasn't purchased in the past 3/4 years, if my memory serves me correctly.

Forgive my ignorance, but as I can't pull the plug on the fan, what would happen if I tried to start the box without the graphics card in?

Thx to all,

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Normaly there would be a series of beeps from the computer.

The two things a computer must have to get very far in booting are a tiny amount of memory, and video memory for a monochrome screen. If it can't find those it will beep in protest and halt.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Thx Harry. I obviously needed a reminder. Riddled with flu and completely out of it this morning!

If the WD40 doesn't work then a new card may be the case. It did seem to coincide with a change in temperature. The room had been quite warm until the cold weather set in briefly. I wonder if that set the wheels in motion, pardon the pun!

Rgds

Rosie

4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

If you use the WD40 trick with no joy, You can pick up an AGP card now days for next to nothing anyways.

Alternatively, you could also put a new fan on the card itself... But if your card is to old, Finding a fan to fit could cause a problem.
    Personally id just stick a new card in, Better performance for one. Doesnt necessarilly have to be purchased to slaughter with games im guessing??

Good luck

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  5. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Thx Craig. Yes, I'll give the WD40 a go, and if unsuccessful I'll opt for a new card.

Rgds Rosie