No signal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Nov 2, 2006.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

OK folks. so a friend of mine has knocked her tower over. Now when she turns the pc on she gets ''no signal'' showing on the monitor.... Im trying to explain to her the things to try, but she is by no means computer literate....

How can i break it down into none dummy terms??

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the connection (lead) from the monitor to the back of her pc is loose or come off... replug and pray then play.

3. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

yeh ive already told her to try that, she says it still wont work. It would be so much easier if she lived like in the same country as me. She seems ti think shes broken it... But surely from knocking it over when it was already on the floor would not destroy the Video card.

4. Mr.Cheeks

sure the pins aint bent or broken?

5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

good point buddy, will have to get onto her about that..... Will let you know the outcome. Any more opinions welcomed folks.

Craig

6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Could be that the graphics card has become unseated. However, the theory is out the window if it's an onboard one!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Do as has already been suggested, check the pins on the monitor cable to see if they are bent, or feel the cable tosee if it has broken (any sharp bends near the connection end could break the wires inside the lead). If this all seems ok try another monitor.
    If you still get same message then it is probably the graphics card.
    It is possible that with a large enough jolt that the graphics card has come out of its socket in the mobo. This would only happen if it wasnt screwed to the back plane properly, but might give a "no signal message" on the monitor. Or it could even have damaged the card. Was the pc on when it was knocked?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Of course thinking about it.... when she turns on the pc does it beep once or many times or not at all??

After all if th e towers been knocked over it might not be anything to do with the graphics but with the psu and mobo. Most monitors will display "no siganel when not connected to anything which is what you would get with a dead mbo possibly.

But this is the worst case scenario!!!! 1st make sure the pc does turn on and beeps or seems to power up then check all the possible graphic fauls then if its still not working check the actuall mobo, cpu and psu tomake sure they are working......

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Never mind anything else, I wouldn't be to confident about the state of her harddrive after that.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Yeh cheers for the replies so far guys, covered pretty much what ive already suggested. I believe the pc was turned on when she knocked it. Not asked about any POST beep returns when she powers the thing up...... but i do know the pc turns on. I told her this morning to check the graphics card is seated properly and has not come unsteady, but she couldnt get the cover off the side case. She removed the screws, but didnt realise you have to slide the casing off, think she may have tried to pull it off.... Not sure though.

Baba, surely a small fall like that would not affect the hard drive... Those things are built like rocks now days. :biggrin

Any more ideas???? Gonna give her this link later on so she can check from pc to pc.

11. Mr.Cheeks

how shen gonna check if she has no monitor?

12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

she has 2 PC's in the house, I already checked this one. he he

13. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Wouldn't like to say mate. Never tested the concept myself.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Try the monitor from the other working PC. Graphics card may be playing up, get her to open the case (somehow!) and reseat it 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Well she has got back to me, apparetnly the pins are not bent..... Also the monitor adapter is on board... So the card being not seated correctly is out of ze window.

not had any replies as to POST beep checks yet though.

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also get her to look at the back of the monitor, it might be that the vid cable into the rear of the monitor got pulled out a bit when the box fell over.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

How much does your friend know about pc's?

The reason I ask is that she is unable to get the cover off the case but is able to determine the system is using onboard graphics?

I would completely unplug the monitor cable both ends and reinstall it. Does the pc run (audible) even though there is no display? If it's very quickly switching itself back off (the PC) then it sounds like the CPU heatsink has become unseated, can she try the monitor on her second pc? are there both analogue and dvi connectors on rear? does she have different cable to test?

The monitor will have it's own power source and if its saying no signal you have power. It's more a matter of how quickly it says this msg? If the monitor displays anything else first it's an unseated card etc. Is the PC switching the monitor on for it to display this msg or does she have to manually switch on?

18. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for all your input folks. Turns out the RAM had become unsteady when it fell. Dunno how though, especially as its usually clipped into position.

But all is well.....

Craig

19. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm, interesting. I would of thought the computer would of given post beeps if it was the RAM...

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They (puters) don't always follow the rules mate, the A+ stuff your learning is based on what should happen but some faults are just weird, so always keep an open mind :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)